Paranapiacaba Train Station

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/paranapiacaba-train-station?utm_source=atlas-forum&utm_medium=referral

The city is also supposedly VERY haunted.

People in Paranapiacaba say that the mist that descends from the tall part of the village (where the head engineer lived) and goes all the way to the church is the embodiment of a ghostly bride, supposedly the daughter of the head engineer, who killed herself after being forbidden to marry her beloved. The path the mist takes is precisely from her former home to the church.

I’ve heard that the swings by the club sometimes move on their own.

It’s said that these old rails and that wagon are haunted by the workers, and it’s not a good idea to head down there at night.

And there are rumors that Jack the Ripper moved there, but I’m not familiar enough with that story to comment on that.

One last thing, it’s possible to arrive there for cheaper than taking the touristic express. If you’re willing to spend more time on your journey, instead of taking the touristic express, take the Turquoise line (Line 10) from the Bras station (which is served by the line 3 - Red of metro, and the train lines 10 - Turquoise, 11 - Coral and 12 - Sapphire). Get off the train on the Rio Grande da Serra station, which is the last station, anyway. From there, ask for directions to the bus to Paranapiacaba, which, if schedules haven’t changed, passes by every half an hour.

2 Likes

I never heard about the Jack the ripper thing , but it comes as no suprise, there is a long and bizarre Brazilian tradition of claiming that British historical figures moved to, lived in or even were born in some of the small towns.

There is this town in Sao Paulo State that I have heard of which claims that both Lawrence of Arabia and Rhett Butler , the character from “Gone with the wind” were secretly fathered by some womanizing local coffee baron. There are some absolutely bizarre urban legends in Brazil.

2 Likes

Love the Jack the Ripper connection. I’m always fascinated by the mythical second lives of famous figures.

1 Like