Paternoster Lift at Prague City Hall

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Paternoster Lift at Prague City Hall in Prague, Czechia. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/paternoster-lift-at-prague-city-hall?utm_source=atlas-forum&utm_medium=referral

I happened to notice there’s another example of this type of lift in the Lucerna shopping centre just off Wenceslas Square. I don’t think it is open to the public, but you can see the lift at work behind a glass door opposite the musical instrument shop.

If you’re planning on visiting Czarny’s Horse sculpture (located in the same shopping centre) keep an eye out for this.

2 Likes

It is open to the public but at certain times of the day it costs you CZK 100. You can take it up to the 4th floor where you have to get off, but then if you walk up the remaining stairs to the 5th floor there is a fantastic multi-level rooftop bar with great views over Prague. The bar is open from 15:00 to 22:00 (not sure about in winter) and is well worth it.

Here is my firsthand account of descending to the depths of a paternoster lift in an apt building in Vienna. If you find one, I highly recommend riding it through the direction change!

2 Likes

You survived!