Paulding Light

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Paulding Light in Bruce Crossing, Michigan. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

While I haven’t specifically been here, I’ve watched several TV shows about this location and worked with digital topographic and elevation maps and it is most likely a road line-up where you see distant car headlights. Several other locations I’ve been to are like this but not all so this is not a blanket statement. Each location like Marfa TX and the Joplin MO spooklight is a different mix of phenomena. It is still an interesting optical effect.

1 Like

I’ve been there and witnessed it. It is not headlights or airplanes. Neither have lights like this

1 Like

I can second that it is definitely not car lights. I’ve been there many times. I remember one night watching the light bounce back and forth just past the creek for a good 15 minutes. It’s easy for people to brush it off, but if you spend enough time there, you’ll see things that can’t be explained away easily.