Piasa Bird

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Piasa Bird in Alton, Illinois. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Does anyone know if the caves of this bird are accessible?

1 Like

I’m sorry that I can’t answer that for you because it’s been a long time since this site was the focus of my attention. The first time I became aware of it and a number similar sites along the waterways of North America was the result in trying to determine if there were any foundations in fact for the widespread myths about giant birds. The Thunderbird is probably an example that is most familiar to most people but there are others such as the Great Cannibal Owl of the Comanches and a big man (and woman) eating bird down in Argentina. With the aid of a friend who was involved in a similar investigation of what are termed cryptids, semi-mythical beasts whose existence remains to be verified or denied conclusively by empirical evidence, I came to conclude that there is or was a factual basis for at least one, the teratornis, which fills the bill for the Thunderbird. Teratornis - Wikipedia
There’s another terrestrial monster bird that can best be described as a giant man-eating emu that lived alongside volkwagen sized armadillos, giant ground sloths and something resembling a giant llama with a short elephant snout. I recently came across an article in one of my science updates that confirmed what Bird had already confirmed at Fell’s Cave down in Patagonia in the '20’s. People had been around when these monsters roamed freely and had stuck spears in them to prove it. That’s gradually come to be accepted by the mainstream science community with the mounting evidence from recent discoveries Back when I first learned about such critters that fact was hotly rejected because as “everyone” knew, there wasn’t anybody of the human persuasion around before 13,500 years ago. And I suppose this is how the Piasa bird article got the pseudoscience hoax tag here. Big Bird used to be automatically lumped in with Big Foot, Moth Man and the Loch Ness Monster. But Piasa is a bird of a different feather. I have several professional papers from two archaeologists and their colleagues in Middle Tennessee busy untangling the source of the Bird Man Cult that dominated the Mississippian (temple mound builders) phase at its high point. This is similar to the Buzzard Cult which put in an appearance first at Catal Hoyuk in Anatolia close to 8,000 BCE and again at Spiro Mounds, Oklahoma between 1,000 and 1,4oo CE.
They’re also looking into that charming little cat goddess figurine who could be Bastet’s twin sister that showed up in the Etowah mound complex. While none of them are suggesting a direct Egyptian connection, least of all yours truly, they are trying to determine if an indigenous feral cat had existed and been domesticated as in Ancient Egypt before the Euros hit the beach. End of unsolicited lecture.

1 Like