Picarones

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Picarones. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

2 Likes

I found a picarones mix in a box that has all plant based ingredients. Instead of egg there is starch. No dairy either. Came out well. Will devise a vegan recipe based on the mix.

I especially appreciated the brief history lesson included with the appetizing description of these sweet treats! :yum:

Looks like the ideal treat to have with some coffee. Iā€™m fond of sweet potatoes baked, in pies, with nuts, brown sugar. The best of both worlds with a fried dough and SUGAR. Thanks for this. Would love to find (prior comment by kiai)~ picarones mix.

I am fascinated by how similar picarones are to the ā€œkueh/kuih keriaā€ of the Malays in Singapore and Malaysia. Look it up! I love how fried dough as a delicious food is found in many versions in so many parts of the world. :yum: