Pick-Up Sports Games in Toronto

I run a lot of pick-up sports games in Toronto for people looking for casual ways to get active. I just thought I’d make a post for anyone interested in playing sports like basketball, soccer, ultimate frisbee, cricket, etc.

I organize all of these games through a pick-up sports app I built. You can check out our website here to learn more. I don’t want to turn this into an advertisement, so feel free to shoot me an email if you’re curious about what games are happening around you justin@javelinsportsinc.com.

2 Likes

Anybody familiar with the game Ringolevio?
Emmet Grogan, of the late '60’s San Fran countercultural group, The Diggers, wrote a book called “Ringolevio: A Life Played For Keeps.”
In the book he describes the game played on the city streets of NYC with as many kids as you could get to play it.
We played it in Chicago when I was a kid back in the late '50’s.
It’s basically a game of hide, and seek . Half the kids run off, and the others look for them.
When you are caught, you go to jail; four squares of sidewalk on a corner. you are guarded, but if someone can run up, and tag you, you’re set free. It’s a never ending game really, because to find every kid, and get them back to the jail can take forever. Sometimes, I hid so good that no one found me, and when I heard my Mom calling me, it was time to go home for dinner, so I just went home.
We played it quite a bit, and don’t ever remember a game that was successfully completed with all the other team in jail. Good times though, with lots of kids running through the neighborhood finding all those secret hiding spots. One time my hiding spots was a coal bin, and my Mom was not too happy about that one. Yep, back when we had coal fired steam radiators.
Ringolevio.
The book by Emmet Grogan was a fascinating account of his life, the formation of the Diggers, the Summer Of Love, and everything that went along with what was happening back then.
Sadly, his life WAS played for keeps. He was quite the guy, and the book was is a very insightful look into that period. Highly recommended.
Peace…