"Picture, please?" in China

My lady and I did a China tour in 2014. For the first time in my life, I seemed to be something of a celebrity. Wherever we went, particularly in the Beijing area, kids would come up to me and say, “Picture, please?” They were not selling anything; they wanted their pictures taken with me. I was a little startled at first, but who could resist such a flattering proposal? I would say yes and be surrounded in an instant by anywhere from 3 to 20 or so kids, usually dressed alike (they travel in school groups and the like to see the same sights we were there for); one would take a picture, then trade places with another to be included in the next shot.
Initially, I though that perhaps I was the first old white guy these kids had ever seen (we were told that school groups from the countryside all came in midsummer), but there were even older white guys in our group that remained largely ignored. Perhaps is was my silly hat that drew them in, but I soon stopped worrying about it and just enjoyed being grandfather for a day.
It is a happy memory.

6 Likes

How cute!

Yep! Very comical and expected especially when traveling as a blonde or red head with a guy who resembles Brad Pitt impeccably!!!

very good post