Places/food you thought "hey, this should be on AO/GO!"

Any places you’ve been to or food you’ve tried that you immediately thought they belonged on Atlas Obscura or Gastro Obscura?

3 Likes

Why Hasn't My Place/Food Submission Been Published?

I wanted to submit a listing for a Hindu temple in rural northeast PA of all places. It’s a magnificent building, and it doesn’t blend in with its modest country surroundings. But I didn’t take any photos myself, and I couldn’t find any public domain images of that specific building.

6 Likes

Darn, that’s too bad.

Two of mine are in the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery/ American Art Museum in the Chinatown area of DC. One is graffiti chiseled into the window frame by a recovering Civil War soldier who was likely there when the building was being used as a war hospital and the other is a section of flooring that was original from when Abraham Lincoln had his inauguration ball.

I have a few food ones, too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh , there are literally hundreds of places/foods that I would like to get published on Atlas Obscura , particularly in Mexico and Brazil.

Mexico : Cafe Tacuba in Mexico city’s historic centre , beautiful old colonial building and well worth visiting for the delicious hot chocolate they serve in the old Pre-hispanic style , good coffee too

Casa de los Azulejos in the historic centre too , another old historic building built by the Spanish , its a sanborns so part of a branch of restaurants but there is something very special about this place with its Orozco mural and the bullet holes in the ceiling over a hundred years old and left by drunken rebels during Mexico’s revolution.

Pulqueria Insurgentes on “Insurgentes street” not far from Zona Rosa. A place pretty dear to my heart as I have spent many occasions here with friends drinking pulque during the years I lived in Mexico.

La Esquina del te in Colonia Roma , Mexico city. Another place which I used to like to go to with friends , a huge selection of teas from all over the world and a lovely place to sit and talk.

Churreria “El moro” in Polanco , Mexico city , some excellent traditional churros of all flavours can be enjoyed here.

Not really a restaurant as such , but also this gothic/punk/post-punk nightclub called “UTA” a couple of blocks from the zocalo , I used to spend every Friday night here in my late teens and early 20’s partying, drinking , dancing , romancing to the sound of siouxsie and the banshees, joy division , the cure , the smiths , Nick cave and the bad seeds etc.

3 Likes

Cafe Tacuba in CDMX is the namesake of the Mexican rock band Cafe Tacvba! They are one of my favorites. I felt that that might be worth mentioning!

3 Likes

Glad you mentioned it Alison , although they are not my favourite they are indeed a great band

1 Like

I just saw this on Twitter and thought “yes, this is totally an AO destination, too bad it’s going away soon.”

In general I feel we need more places in Tokyo on the site.

3 Likes

This looks cool, but seems like it’s going away unfortunately. But we’d love to get more Tokyo places in the database as well!

0 Likes

I agree! I’d like to get more places/food from that region/continent, actually.

2 Likes

Manga hotel, anyone?

1 Like

There is a place near where my grandma lives in Poland. Its a very small rural area with a local legend about a giant spider that once poisoned a set of priests. Its mostly passed down orally in the area and I have not found any writeup of it yet. Would something like this be fitting for the atlas? Alternatively I could write it up on my homepage and use that as a source for AO, but IDK if thats cheating.

I have pictures of the church.

1 Like

3 Likes

That’s cool! I feel like if you would add mot pictures and text that they would add it. Maybe talk about the designer and move.

0 Likes

Holy cow! That’s pretty cool - I like covered bridges.

1 Like

Oooooh, would love to visit this one!

1 Like

I haven’t been to this one but in general I want to see more crazy shrines on AO:

2 Likes

I would definitely buy an omamori from that shrine!

1 Like

Oh wow, this look pretty cool! Great “place with a face”!

0 Likes

The old Bayley Seton Hospital. I actually used to go to this hospital as a kid before it closed down. While it was supposed to be demolished, that seems to have stalled out. It was used as Arkham Asylum on Gotham.

2 Likes

St. Martin’s Cathedral in Bratislava. There’s a series of imaginary animal sculptures up in the front that are worthy of a visit (regardless of anything else). My pictures aren’t accessible, but the pictures on tripadvisor are a few of them. Baroque wood carvings all around the front - I’d love an educated tour guide to tell me about them. Lots of relics and crypts for some AO graveyard creepiness. :slight_smile:

2 Likes