Places now lost to us

I always find myself getting a bit nostalgic around the holidays. While in years past I’ve mostly thought about absent friends and family, this year I find myself thinking more about certain places I’ve loved that no longer exist. I greatly enjoy reading all of your posts on topics ranging from unusual animal encounters to pending submissions to road trip anthems, so I thought I’d invite you to share here any place (or places) that you miss or wish you could have visited.

Here are a few of my own:

Enjoy and happy holidays!

3 Likes

I’ve never been there as it hasn’t existed for a long time but I feel as if I would have loved to have seen the “Cabaret de l’Enfer” in Paris. It would have been amazing to have gone in and had a drink , socialized with artists and writers and watch the burlesque shows.

|300x306

Cabaret de l’Enfer

Other places I would have liked to have seen but missed out on are the Prehistoric cave paintings of Lascaux in France and Altamira in Spain

5 Likes

This is a great question! And happy holidays to you! I wrote a story a while back about the psychedelic theme park that once lived in the place of CNN’s current headquarters. I really would have liked to experience such a perfectly strange attraction:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/cnn-krofft-amusement-theme-park-atlanta-georgia

1 Like

This is a year late, but I continue to be sad about the disappearance of this natural wonder:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-azure-window-and-the-blue-hole-san-lawrenz-malta

Maybe one of the Atlas Obscura engineers (@lukert33 and @shiraj) could run a list of the places we had to mark as closed this year…

5 Likes

Wow - that’s an exquisite choice!

3 Likes

Agreed! I remember seeing on the news somewhere that it had collapsed and I was similarly saddened. I wonder if it could be restored?

2 Likes

One of the first site I remember thinking about ‘Wait, what, I will never get to see this???’ was the Buddhas of Bamyan, when they got destroyed…

Enzo Rhode-Hagen

4 Likes

Awesome mention Enzo !

1 Like

Ship Hotel was a pretty well known landmark in my neck of the woods (western PA). My parents always seemed to hold it in high regard and I have vague memories of driving past it as a young kid. It was simply a hotel in the shape of a ship hanging off the side of the mountain on Rte. 30. Grand View Point Hotel - Wikipedia There are a couple of neat pictures of it on the web, too.

3 Likes

Hands down, I would have loved to have visited Kowloon Walled City. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_Walled_City

Also, because I’m obsessed with true crime, HH Holmes’ Murder Castle would be something to see.

5 Likes

Interesting choice tralfamadore. I’m embarrassed to say I hadn’t heard of Kowloon walled city before , but I just found this vintage archive footage of it online which I’m sure you will like

2 Likes

When I moved to Los Angeles 10 years ago one of my top bucket list tourist destinations was to visit the Brown Derby restaurant. With its unique architecture and celebrity caricatures it had always stuck in my subconscious as one of the landmark symbols of glamorous Hollywood, thanks to its appearance in an episode of I Love Lucy. I was so disappointed when I discovered (via Atlas Obscura) it had suffered earthquake damage and closed at least a decade prior to that, supposedly complete with a funeral ceremony by locals. Now only the dome remains, as part of a shopping center :frowning:

1 Like

Pretty fascinating. I actually haven’t seen much footage of it in this era. Oddly enough, some of the better footage of it is in the Jean-Claude Van Damme movie Bloodsport (?!) YouTube

It looks like it has a real den of iniquity feel , such a shame its no longer around it

The ancient City of Palmyra. I was horrified at its wanton destruction. :sob:

3 Likes

Totally agree , it was heartbraking what they inflicted on the archeologist , but I remember reading about him and feeling so much admiration for how unbreakable his spirit was even to the point of sacrificing everything to keep those ancient artifacts safe.

3 Likes

Hi I just looked it up to see were it WAS.Would of been nice to know about it before.I just went by the place 3 years ago on a Road Trip to Bushkill,Pa area. I took hwy 30 from Minn. to ?.All the was east, I put on 5500 miles.

1 Like

That is a GIANT trip on Rte. 30. I love the drive, but anytime I go from western to central Pa. on 30 rather than 76 it feels like it takes eons. Great scenery though.

I’m glad this topic popped up again. I failed to give a shout out to my departed home away from home, Nova Express Cafe in LA. Initially a coffeehouse, it was built by an artist who loved sci-fi. So he made his ultimate futuristic hangout with great pizza that would stay open until 4am. I played some of my first gigs there. Before I could get into bars, this was my regular go-to.

5b2bb6424488b30009268d59-original
5b2c36634488b30009271464-original

1 Like

That place looks amazing - I;m sorry I never got to see it.