Potato Doughnuts

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Potato Doughnuts. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

I’m from the Buffalo/Western New York area. Growing up in Tonawanda, NY there was a Spudnuts Shop, Roehner’s Spudnuts, very close to home. The shop was owned by an older couple who were always very friendly when we came in. It was a special treat going in there with my Dad to pick up a dozen Spudnuts, getting to select a few 0f my favorites. I remember I would choose raspberry jelly filled ones, or powdered sugar ones. I wondered what happened to the shop, but now understand it was a victim of the times. I’d love to try some of these again, but I’m sure it won’t match my memories.

There was a Spudnuts shop at the end of our street in Dekalb, Illinois. Every Sunday morning we’d get a box of a dozen assorted spudnuts and the Sunday New York Times and the Chicago Sun Times and wife and daughters and I would spend the morning with all of the above. I’ve never really enjoyed doughnuts again since leaving there. And I assume Spudnuts, too, has long since departed.