Practices from other cultures

What practices or food from other cultures do you wish were available where you are?

Merienda, elevenses, teatime, goûter - whatever the name, it’s done but not a big practice in the US.

I also wish we had the Spanish practice of siesta in the US, it seems like a very civilized way of living. Close businesses in the afternoon, rest, reopen again for a few hours in the evening sounds great.

Image from this website

7 Likes

Yes, it seems the best we Americans can come up with is the “coffee break.” It doesn’t measure up to the 5th full meal of the British day. (Breakfast, elevenses, lunch, tea, dinner.)

3 Likes

You forgot second breakfast and supper! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I agree, “coffee break” doesn’t quite encompass what the 5th meal should be. Food should be savoured but we just treat it like fuel instead of a feast for the senses.

1 Like

I love cultures with seven meals!

2 Likes

At the moment there is just the scent of BBQ’s all over the place here but I’m feeling in the mood for a Brazilian “churasceria”. I just don’t think English barbecues really compare , despite best efforts … well, actually , English “cuisine” as a whole doesn’t compare and fails to compete with any other cuisine IMO, hahaha :laughing:.

Anyways , soon I’ll have ample opportunities to be irresponsible with my cholestrol and go churrasceria crazy :relieved: :drooling_face:

5 Likes

My Vietnamese-American wife would appreciate it if you all took your shoes off when coming in the house. Thanks.

4 Likes

I provide slippers for guests. :laughing:

3 Likes