Protected Indian Trail Marker Tree

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Protected Indian Trail Marker Tree in Traverse City, Michigan. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

I lived across the street from another possible trail marker in Traverse City. You have to move around in street view to see it - 431 Washington St, Traverse City, MI. https://goo.gl/maps/AyCWPdPotJ52

In 2016, Dennis Downes was invited to be a Guest Speaker at the Grand Traverse County Parks and Recreation Department Dedication Ceremony for the Native American Trail Marker Tree. (He is seen in the photos included in this article) Dennis has had a long history with the Traverse City Trail Marker Tree, first visiting it over a decade ago and also featuring it in his book, “Native American Trail Marker Trees: Marking Paths Through the Wilderness” (2011). In 2013, Dennis gave a lecture at the site of the tree and invited Hilda Williams, descendant of Chief Pontiac, to join him along with members of the History Center of Traverse City.
After the event, Kristine Erickson, Director of the Grand Traverse County Parks and Recreation Department stated: “Author, artist, and Trail Marker Tree expert Dennis Downes’ consultation, vast knowledge, and experience was invaluable to the Native American Trail Marker Tree placemaking project at the Grand Traverse County Civic Center in Traverse City. From crafting accurate language for the signage, to educating project managers about the trees historical significance in our region and the greater context of our nation, Dennis’ enthusiasm, passion, and generosity will always be appreciated by our community, especially the Grand Traverse Tribe of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians, who were honored during a special ceremony at the tree on October 25th, 2016. I am grateful to know Dennis and to have learned so much about Trail Marker Trees. I will never look at a tree the same now, and will seek out such trees when traveling. What a gift!”

(the photo attached was taken during the ceremony, Kristine and Dennis were speaking)