Providence Biltmore

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Providence Biltmore in Providence, Rhode Island. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Host Halloween show in hotel & Ghost tours year round for guests.
Host paranormal events there?
Huge profits from Oct 1-31 alone for hotel

The interior looks an awful lot like the interior of the hotel in American Horror Story: Hotel. I wonder if it was an inspiration, given the history.

1 Like

The Biltmore may also have been the inspiration for the hi-rise that Sigourney Weaver’s character lives in from GHOSTBUSTERS.

Except for opening 2 sentences and the paragraph about the sales of the hotel, NONE of the information in this article is true.

1 Like

That’s the first thing I thought when I saw the photo!

Exactly. It sounds way too close to be a coincidence - the building in ‘Ghostbusters’ was purportedly designed by the occultist architect(!) Ivo Shandor.

As near as I can tell, much of this information (like the supposed Satanism stuff) is lifted from a blog called “Ghosts of Providence” which seems to be entirely made up, and is often at variance with the facts. Some experienced Atlas Obscurist really should please re-write the article and weed out all the bad info here.

Thank you all for the information, truly appreciated. We have updated the article to more accurately reflect this places history. Thanks again!