PsychoBarn

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of PsychoBarn in London, England. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Barn house? How much of a city slicker do you have to be to come up with such a nonsensical name? Don’t people realize barns and houses are completely different structures with completely different purposes, appearances, etc.?

3 Likes

I came here to say the same thing. Barns and farm houses are two distinct things. This is more of a rural Victorian style house that you might find in a small rural town than either of the afore-named structures.

American barns are typically hip roofed structures with very large open areas.

An American farmhouse is a very utilitarian house typically in a very plain Colonial or Ranch style.

1 Like

I also came to say it’s a stupid name. But, after looking at some of the links, I think I see what happened here. This page says, “It is built using materials reclaimed from an archetypal American red barn, carefully dismantled then re-made in the image of the house from Alfred Hitchcock’s 1960 film Psycho…” So I can see how the artist might have come up with the title of the piece.

The author of the Atlas Obscura article, however, has no excuse.

Here’s more:

The components of a dismantled traditional American red barn have been appropriated; the planks of the long sidings becoming the house’s walls and its corrugated roof providing material for the roofing tiles.

And:

The combination of the red barn – with its connotations of rural wholesomeness – and the sinister psychological complexities of Hitchcock’s house, presents a series of deliberate paradoxes.

Thank you for all of the passionate comments! Our editors are taking a look and will work to clarify the entry.

Looks better now!