¿Que pasa en Málaga? (Spain recs)

Hello! I know Spain pretty well at this point, but there are still a few cities (and islands) I’ve yet to visit. This trip I’m going to Málaga for the first time. What are some of the most memorable museums, churches, restaurants, and sites that people have visited in this city? I have about 2 days.

1 Like

I haven’t been to Malaga as I only know the centre and North of Spain well. But I’ve heard good things about the Picasso Museum there (To be honest any and every Picasso museum is worth a trip in my opinion) and there are a few historical sites too , mainly Moorish fortresses from the time of the caliphate , the Alcazaba and Gibralfaro.

https://www.museopicassomalaga.org/en/new-collection

I think it would probably be manageable to see both the sites and the Museum within a day , but again , not speaking from personal experience so can’t really say for sure.

http://www.andalucia.org/en/cultural-tourism/visits/malaga/monuments/alcazaba-de-malaga/

Off the beaten track there are a number of caves and prehistoric cave paintings in the area too , although these might require more than just two days to visit , by the looks of it La Pileta seems to have the most impressive paintings.

2 Likes

Wow! Thank you Monsieur Mictlan. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I had no idea these caves were there. And I agree: Picasso is always worth it.

2 Likes

No problem Alexa :slight_smile: , hope it helps and have a great time in Spain

1 Like

How funny! When I saw your question, my first thought was SKIP the Picasso Museum! It’s pretty third-rate stuff, presumably made a museum by relatives (niece(s) or nephew(s) if I recall correctly) to avoid inheritance taxes.
If you have only 2 days, I’d focus on the caves and the Moorish sites, for sure. If you have a car, you could spend an afternoon and evening in Marbella - I haven’t been back in several years, but there were interesting restaurants along the coast.

Ohhh interesting. Thank you, @iskohn! The caves are definitely going on the list. I hadn’t thought about driving at all, but I’ll certainly consider.