Right now, YOU are craving

Hahaha! Good try. Did you use Google Translate? Mine wouldn’t read it as Japanese so I had to give up that avenue of inquiry.

2 Likes

You’re in luck! I couldn’t let it go so I thought I’d do a few minutes’ worth of sleuthing and found out what it meant. I’m pretty confident it’s the Ichizawa Shinzaburo Hanpu Kyoto brand and you can access their English language website by clicking the image below. However…they do not do online sales so you’d have to go to their shop. :sweat_smile: Which is always a good excuse to travel. :flight_departure: :japan:

jpeg

This seems to be one of their brands.

More info:
Ichizawa Hanpu Kogyo, Higashioji-dori Furumonzen (Chion’in-mae) Agaru, Nishikawa, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto.
Telephone 541-0138.
Open from 8:30 A.M. to 6:30 P.M. Monday to Saturday, from noon to 6:30 P.M. Sunday and holidays.

There was an old New York Times article on them as well.

3 Likes

Smoking or chewing? :crazy_face: :smoking:

1 Like

Smoking , but I satiated my craving for my horrible vice, hahaha

1 Like

Wow, that was some incredible sleuthing. Thank you so much for that! Guess this little shop is going into the Japan to-do list.

1 Like

If I take a probiotic and an antibiotic together, will I explode?

1 Like

Impressive!

1 Like

I’ve gotten into the habit of buying up boxes of old, unopened, out-of-print collectible card games from the 90s (Magic: The Gathering rip offs). I’m craving more boxes of booster packs, but… I need to cool it for a minute.

2 Likes

No, @Saul_Good, but you do become the Biotic Man.

1 Like

I’m only a super-sporadic smoker - for some reason, not predisposed to nicotine addiction (when I say super-sporadic, it means a cigar maybe once a year or a pack of cigarettes in one go while I’m writing the whole day, then months or years of going without). My dad quit cold turkey one day after several years of a 3-pack-a-day habit.

Now, if we’re talking about a reading addiction… I’m establishing a Readers Extreme Anonymous Denial (READ) right here, right now.

2 Likes

Thanks - I hope Sherlock Holmes would be proud of me. :grin:

Oh, the many things I’d like to do in Japan, if I could only afford it. Kyoto palaces and temples, Tsukiji Fish Market, Toei Animation, Studio Ghibli Inc., I could go on and on…

1 Like

Thanks! My highest IQ score category is on abstract reasoning so that probably helped. :laughing:

Now if it could only translate to something that can be monetised. #uselesstalents

You are a smoker !? :open_mouth:

I would never have guessed , but anyway I think that calls for some smokers solidarity :fist: hehe

I’ve been a pretty heavy smoker in recent years , but during my 20’s I’ve managed to give it up for long periods (sometimes years) for various reasons.

I like to smoke roll up and standards cigarettes but when I see cheap cigars on sale like they have in Spain , Mexico , Brazil etc. occasionally I’ve bought and smoked them when I’ve had something to celebrate.

When I was in Brazil I actually developed a habit of smoking the straw " peasant" cigarettes like “Cigarros de palha” that they sell there in rural Sao Paulo as they are ridiculously cheap and have such an incredible old school kick to them , a really good smoke. The only problem with them is that you pretty much have to be sitting down as you smoke as they can make you feel dizzy and shaky on your feet and the straw casing is pretty sharp. I actually sliced my gum open on one while I was working which was a bit annoying.

1 Like

@linkogecko, add going to the Ninja Cafe and Bar to your list. It seems very interesting. Found out about it through a Gastro Obscura article on Piranha Ramen.

1 Like

Hmm, @Monsieur_Mictlan, I don’t really know if it’s more of I’m an individual who knows how to smoke or an actual smoker. The last time I did was a cigar in June and before that, maybe a year or two ago. Still, I’m fine being in solidarity with you!

I am told that my maternal grandmother would smoke a hand-rolled cigar(ette?) while washing her laundry by hand and in order for the ash not to fall into the big metal tub, the lit end would be in her mouth (!). :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Did you try any cigars when you were in Puerto Rico ? They were once among the top 5 best producers of hand rolled cigars , I bet they are pretty good too.

Phillipines too , I am guessing that they must have been one of the oldest growers of tobacco in Asia (one of the only benefits of the Spanish empire , its smokes ).

I’ve got to say I admire your maternal granma’s style but I would be too worried with burning my tongue hahaha ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

My immediate craving is for some Panamanian tamal de olla.

My secondary craving is for… a certain friend wink wink nudge giggle

My deep longing is to be able to travel freely to and from Panama.

1 Like

How does one join READ?

1 Like

That was it - you asked about it. :wink:

1 Like

No, did not smoke a cigar while I was in Puerto Rico. If I’d known about them being in the top 5 handrolled cigar makers, I probably would have!

Hmm, that might be true about the Philippines. I remember my husband & I sharing a Cuban (sadly, not Filipino) cigar on Boracay beach at night, listening to the tide ebb and flow, during one of our trips there - actually, our honeymoon, now that I think about it. It was a great memory.

Maybe the moisture inside Lola’s (Grandma’s) mouth prevented any burns, hahaha!

1 Like