Route 66 tips suggestions, tacky souvenirs, food establishments, silly/interesting places

us-route-66

Looking for suggestions for stops along Route 66. (Not doing the California leg) Anything and everything will be considered: from tackiest tourist trap to best hot dog stand.
What did you enjoy seeing ?

St. Louis has a few good things to check out. There is the Chain of Rocks bridge (now a pedestrian bridge) Chain of Rocks Bridge--Route 66: A Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itinerary, Ted Drewes frozen custard http://teddrewes.com/ , Crown Candy Kitchen https://crowncandykitchen.net/, and Doughnut drive in Donut Drive-In - St. Louis - Restaurant | Facebook
for a few.

Not to mention the Arch

Thanks.
Someone already suggested the Ice cream and “concrete” place. Maybe after lunch. Arch was on my list.

Thanks again! If anything comes to mind, just add on.

Andy

New Mexico
-Glen Rio Ghost Town right at the border of Texas panhandle

Texas
-Cadillac Ranch
-its lesser-known cousin, the VW Slug Bug Ranch

Oklahoma
Route 66 museums — one in Elk City, the other in Clinton (these are easy to access off I40)
Gold Dome in OKC is off an old Route 66 alignment + there’s a lot of cool places to eat/drink off 23rd st (I’m particularly fond of The Pump, a gas station turned bar)
Arcadia (northeast of OKC) has a bunch of cool stuff close together: Pops Soda Ranch, Round Barn, ruins of an old gas station
In the Tulsa area, there’s the infamous Blue whale (Catoosa) and the totem pole park (Claremorr). The totem pole park I definitely would consider on the kitschier side.

And that’s just off top of my head for Oklahoma. TravelOK does a great job detailing Route 66 stuff, so if your trip takes you through Oklahoma, definitely take a peek.

Great suggestions! I love the Catoosa Whale.

For Arizona, I really enjoy visiting Two Guns. Even the gas station is just ruins now, but the “indian” ruins are expansive and fun to poke around. The wooden path leading into the death cave was just replaced, too!

Don’t miss the Center of the Universe in Tulsa! https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-center-of-the-universe-tulsa-oklahoma

Yeah, Two Guns is super cool! From the ruins of the ghost town to the geocache in the cave its a really fun visit! This is a bit out of the way, but there is a neat lava tube in the Coconino Forest.

Sounds interesting, but I’m driving a Vette so going into town is not looking too good. Unless you have a recent report I’ll just have to look at it from afar.
I will stop to look at it. I have to say the AO article was super interesting.

Thanks for the very interesting locations.

At some point within the next month or two I’m supposed to go to Sacramento, California and help my sister drive back to the Dallas Metroplex. She just retired from Civil Service and bought an RV to make the roundabout way home. I told her there were a few places in the West I’d managed to miss in my first 60 years rambling around out there from the Canadian border to the Mexican border. She has no great preferences and time isn’t a major factor. But we would like to hit as many as possible without spending the next 20 years crisscrossing the Mojave and Great Divide. The two that are top of the list are the Calico Early Man Site, California. I’ve been to Knott’s Berry farm and the Old West Ghost Town there, but I want to see the archaeological site and the dead lakes nearby, like Manix and Lahonton. The next is Hoover Dam, as many times as I’ve been through Nevada, I’ve somehow managed to miss the dam. While in Nevada I’d like to see as many of the ghost towns as possible plus any natural weirdness (and I know Nevada has more than you can shake a stick at) that might vaguely line up without zigzagging from one end of the state to the other. Arizona, pretty much the same but I would like to see as many of the Pueblo ruins as possible. Since Chaco Canyon is also high on the list, I suppose anything in the Four Corners would work. From New Mexico to the Dallas Metroplex doesn’t matter much as those are the two states I’m most familiar along with Oklahoma. Does anybody have any suggestions for unusual places like that I may have missed reading Atlas Obscura the last 2 or 3 years? I seem to recall Nevada has a brochure on the Ghost Town Trail. Anything like that for Arizona or New Mexico? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Petrified Forest/Painted Desert – most def! The park also has several archeological sites (Ancient Puebloans, if I remember it right.)

Just off of 66 about 40 miles north of flagstaff is a truly remarkable Puebloan site called Wupatki. In its day, it was one of the most important crossroads towns in a VERY large area. (It has one of the biggest Aztec ball courts – a hint of how important the place was.) Oh, and a blow hole where you can literally feel and hear the earth breathe (no lie!)

I was there in January and you can access the campground and old gas station easy, though that’s not the fun part. Getting to the other ruins involves some slight rough roads that were fine in my mini van but my friend was a little skeptical about in her Chrysler 200 (admittedly, that morning she’d already backed over and gotten stuck on a large rock in the snow in my driveway so she was already on edge and it was the first day of our trip. lol).

Also, when we were leaving, we noticed that the old bridge we took across to the last batch of ruins was, uh, kinda crumbly. Yikes.

Not far from that is Meteor Crater though. Haven’t been myself because we try to avoid high cost tourist traps on our outings.

Went to meteor crater many years ago. Good for an hour, but you can’t go to the bottom.

Still hesitant about the town, but we’ll see. The dead Indian cave sounds very interesting but not going “hiking”.

Thanks

Andy

Saw Petrified Forest and Painted Desert years ago on my first trip there. Painted Desert is beautiful.

Got Wupatki marked on the map. Thanks

Andy

Thanks for posting that one. It looks right up my (Damnation) alley. I’ll try to work it in on my next road trip out that way.

Well if you’re ever out around Odessa, Texas there a 62,000 year old meteorite crater you can walk around to your heart’s content for free with no crowds to harsh your buzz. It’s off I-20, exit 108 ,Moss Road from Odessa to El Paso and there’s a little museum there with some meteorites and info. But don’t make a special trip unless you’re headed somewhere more worthwhile. It’s just a big dent in the ground less than 600 feet in diameter. There are several other craters in the area but this is the largest, proving things aren’t necessarily bigger in Texas. You might luck out and find some little meteorites in the area if you know what to look for but don’t count on it. Still it’s obscure enough to rate mentioning in the Atlas.

Thanks for sharing!