Rue du Chat-qui-Pêche

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Rue du Chat-qui-Pêche in Paris, France. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

This is, I think, the street which features in the fantastic book A Narrow Street (1942) by the American journalist Elliot Paul. I first read this book in my teens, when I had never been to Paris. On my first trip there in the 1980s, aged 19 or 20, I visited Rue de la Huchette and saw this tiny little alleyway with my own eyes. Elliot Paul’s book is so vivid, nostalgic and emotive that it was quite a moving moment to visit a place that had been so dramatically changed since WWII. I highly recommend Paul’s book. It is a really beautiful and affecting slice of life, depicting a France that no longer exists. Inevitably I loaned the book to someone who never returned it, but 20 years or so later I found another copy and re-read it. I was every bit as charmed and moved as I had when I first read it.

1 Like

@Telekom that sounds wonderful! I will try to find the book. I was just in Paris for the first time last March. Wish I’d known about the little street then. Another reason to return :grinning:

1 Like