Saskatoons

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Saskatoons. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

This is disappointingly incomplete. No mention of the Latin names: (should be standard when writing about any plant, animal, mushroom etc) Amelanchier spp. It’s called shadbush or shad blow (bloom) because it blooms when the shad (migratory fish) are running up the Delaware River in the spring. I’d also say it is small but not tiny.
Around here in eastern Pennsylvania, I see it increasingly used as a landscape tree/bush for it’s beautiful white spring blossoms which appear before the it leafs out. One of the best forms is a bush form where several trunks are planted near one another to form a graceful clump. Beautiful fall color as well. I hope people will look it up to see this wonderful plant in spring summer and fall.
It should be available at many local nurseries and is available through U.S. nurseries that carry native/edible landscaping.
As the article says, it’s delicious plus it makes a wonderful jam! Chew thoroughly to taste the small cherry flavored seeds.

Despite these criticisms, I’m also very happy that you brought Saskatoons to our attention, thanks