Scouse

ao-foods
foods
foods-of-england

Welcome to the official discussion about Scouse. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/scouse?utm_source=atlas-forum&utm_medium=referral

0 Likes

My paternal grandfather was a scouser, so I read this piece with interest. I’ve made a few traditional and very simple Liverpudlian dishes at home (conny-onny butty, that kind of thing). I wonder, though, how Scouse is different than, say, the more commonly known beef stew? Using dried beef and hard tack would certainly set it apart, but otherwise it seems almost identical to the stew we know in the States. And I notice carrots in the photo, so I’m guessing, as with many stews, you can throw into the mix whatever is available. Turnips, onions, rutabaga…if you got 'em, in they go, right? My question here is What makes the Scouse recipe special?

2 Likes

Hi David! Thanks for your note. You’re right. The recipe for scouse is simple: beef, onions, potatoes, bay leaves, maybe some thyme, and, historically, any leftovers you might have to throw into the mix (carrots, turnips, etc.). While most folks aren’t turning to hard tack anymore, modern restaurants in Liverpool often include lamb. If you’re familiar with similar forms of beef stew, it might not seem so special (to me, what makes scouse so interesting is its history and impact on language). If you’re in the market for a take on the original lobscouse that’s not quite beef stew, there’s always Hamburg’s version: Labskaus consists of an egg-topped pile of corn beef and potatoes with a side of pickled herring, a noted German hangover cure!

2 Likes

Back then, unless you grew your own veges, Other than spuds veges were often scarce.

0 Likes