Scuppernong Wine

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Scuppernong Wine. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

1 Like

One of the best taste memories from growing up in Southampton County Virginia, that cannot be brought into California, my understanding is because of the local grapes and wine industry. Sadly the west will never know the thrill of taking a walk along a path and discovering such sweetness.

2 Likes

While I don’t mind eating Muscadines, the wine is nauseatingly sweet. Might as well chug pancake syrup.

I grew up eating Scuppernongs and Muscadines off the vine. Just the smell reminds of of lazy summer days of my childhood. I’ve had my share of homemade wine from both varietals. I’ve had this particular bottle as well. It really nails the smell. The nose on it a deep rich Scuppernong scent. As @Bkhuna said though, it is just too sweet. I’m not much of a white wine fan in general. I prefer big bodied dry reds. In order to finish this bottle I had to open a dry pinot grigio and mix the two bottles to make it palatable.

3 Likes

Scuppernongs as grapes are tasty, but too sweet as a wine, IMHO.

1 Like

The perfect combo for drinking Scuppernog wine is a 1:1 dilution made with Bacardi 151.