Seattle Underground

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Seattle Underground in Seattle, Washington. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/seattle-underground?utm_source=atlas-forum&utm_medium=referral

10/21/17 - So far as history and what you get to see goes, we found the tour to be a bit of a disappointment. The guides were funny and engaging, though. Your mileage may vary.

2 Likes

The first time I went to the Seattle Underground was with my parents back when the Back in 1962 the Seattle World’s Fair happened. The big highlight of the day was the fair, Elvis, the huge Ferris wheel (at the time), a trip to the top of the Space Needle, Pike Street Market and finally, a tour of the “underground city” aka: the Seattle Underground. I have to say, as a young pup back then I enjoyed every minute of the tour from the dripping water, elevated toilets, old brothels, speakeasy’s, etc. to the tour guides and the simple history lesson given regarding Seattle’s early days. I’ve been back a couple of times since, primarily to take out of state relatives to a couple of Seattle’s (at one time) points of interest. It’s most definitely not what it used to be. In fact, it’s fallen off of the “tour list” for our family. I’m sure there’s other opinions but just getting to Seattle and finding a place to park is more of a challenge than I’d prefer to submit my friend’s family to these days. I’m more an Olympics Mountain, Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Adams, Mt. Baker, etc. type of guy. Seattle’s pretty much fallen off of our “to do” list these days.

1 Like