Share the Greatest Discovery You've Made After Moving

show-and-tell

Asking your wife may be a bit challenging , but you could ask on my behalf , it would be quite interesting to know , in fact I am really curious.

This is going of on a bit of a tangent , but whatever , fun factoid for the obscurians, in order to draw the attention of most members of the weasel / mustelid family around the world simply purse lips and suck in air till making a sort of high pitched screetching sound.

It usually makes them curious as they think its the sound of a distressed rabbit and therefore lunch and come and investigate its worked for me with a lot of different species grisons , weasel , stoat , tayra , badgers.

0 Likes

My husband and I bought our first home in 2009 in Round Rock, TX. About 2 months after we moved in, I went out to get the mail and as I headed back to the front door, I noticed that 2 of the front windows of the house had white curtains. I thought, that’s weird, I didn’t think we had any white curtains in the house. Well, after some investigation, I realized the two windows, complete with glass, screens and curtains, were backed by drywall! One is in front of a bedroom closet, and the other is in front of a bathroom! They can’t be accessed from the inside of the house. I just wish I knew what on earth happened there! So weird.

6 Likes

When I was looking for a new home, I found a house built in 1935, where the original owners had tried to insulate the foundation sill by using folded newspapers. One of my first jobs after moving in was to remove all those newspapers, and the first one I pulled out … was from my birthday!

10 Likes

In 1976, I joined the Army and was stationed at Ft. Dix, New Jersey. Dad – an old Navy man – had always taught us that wherever you go, there’s going to be something interesting, and I tried to keep this in mind as I grit my teeth and moved my snooty California self to (OMG! gag!) New Jersey. Once there, I found a tiny bookstore in Mount Holly that focused on local history and information. I bought a fascinating book that was a compilation of newspaper columns from the 1930s written by a man who had made it his business to seek out lost and forgotten places in his state, and I decided to see how many of them I could find. I ended up finding quite a few of them, as well as other interesting spots that weren’t in the book, and writing a weekly column for the Ft. Dix “newspaper” called “New Jersey Weekend.” I knew there were plenty of soldiers stationed there who, just like me, had been plopped down in New Jersey with no concept of how amazing it was – if you knew where to look. Brigantine Castle is no more, and I think I read that my beloved White Russian enclave Rova Farms is gone, but I think you can still visit the Smithville of the Bicycle Railway and the Colonial-style Smithville as well, and I read something recently about one of my favorite places, Batsto, the home of bog iron. I was very happy to hear that it’s still in operation.

8 Likes

M. Mictlan,
A Pedant is a man who, when told that his wife has been eaten by an alligator, replies,“There are no alligators here. It must have been a crocodile.”

4 Likes

Hahaha ! fair enough , but if you can please do ask about the weasel thing to your wife , I’m really interested in the folklore of this animal and these kind of species in general in the USA.

0 Likes

I’m so glad I have a few friends with my same dark sense of humor that I can share this with.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean anodyne 33 , but its good to hear anyway :slight_smile:

0 Likes

That freaky poppet doll.

1 Like

Oh right , I see , well there were a lot of other things too that might interest you , heres some more pics

This is a dessicated human heart that was placed in a lead box for some spell in Medieval England , a 14th century spin on Nirvana’s “heart shaped box”

Here is a mumified cat and rat which were bricked in alive behind a wall to ward off evil spirits (Not advocating or celebrating cruelty to animals , but this is what was done in ages past)

These are some strange 16th century witchcraft symbols found when some builders knocked down an old wall in a Devonshire house

All of these objects were basically found in the wall spaces , chimneys and under the floor boards of old houses being renovated , must have been quite a nasty shock for the builders

2 Likes

There are 8 Mustelids in the Olympic Peninsula and North Cascade National Parks.
More info @ USDA/Forest Service sites.

1 Like

Yes , but I urgently need to know exactly what species it was , its phylogenetic and evolutionary history , and its scientific name too. Oh and please obtain some camera trap footage as it would be the icing on the cake … We’ve got to prove the null hypothesis…

No , haha , just kidding :stuck_out_tongue: , I’m sure it was a weasel as you say and there is nothing more that needs to be said about the issue … Other than an observation that weasels are bloody cute :smiley:

1 Like

Did you try tracking down the woman’s family via genealogy and history sites?

0 Likes

I wouldn’t personally want to come across the cat or the heart. That does make an amazing story though.

2 Likes

Oh come on … Have a heart … :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s extremely terrifying to find, hope they had some sage handy lol.

2 Likes

I haven’t come across this myself, but I have heard a lot of stories about people tearing down their houses to find the bathroom walls full of razor blades. Apparently it used to be common to have a slit for razor blade disposal inside medicine cabinets back in the day, and the blades would just start to accumulate inside the wall!

4 Likes

My father actually found some of these , but not inside a bathroom wall. The ones he found were under some floorboards and were from the 1910’s to early 20’s. They were unrusted and unused.

I’m a safety razor shaver myself and use a metal one and disposable razor blades , although its crossed my mind to test the ones that were found out of curiosity, I would never do it , I’d be too worried about getting scepticemia or something nasty like that.

3 Likes

Whoa, that’s fascinating!

0 Likes

Yeah I would definitely steer clear of touching mysterious old razor blades! I wonder what they were doing under the floor boards rather than in a wall…

My apartment building is a century old so I’m curious whether it’s got razor blades or anything else strange hidden in the walls. I also found out recently that there used to be another room in my apartment that was later walled up – I’m dying to know if whoever walled it up hid anything in there. If it were me I would totally leave something as a sort of time capsule for whoever does construction next.

3 Likes