Shimanto River 'Seaweed' Tempura

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Shimanto River ‘Seaweed’ Tempura. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Just a point of clarification, ao 青 means blue, not really green although from a color standpoint, it is really green.

From what I’d read, I thought “ao” basically included what most cultures consider to be green AND blue, and that it’s only to adapt to this that Japanese started calling them sky-ao for blue and grass-ao for green.

I’m genuinely curious as to what’s the actual deal with these words.

In terms of the laver, I suppose we Japanese sort of took liberties with the nomenclature. But it is surprising because we have very descriptive words for green, such as green of moss, blue shade like indigo and so forth. I found something that may pertain to this: Colours in Japanese According to this, they describe it as blue/green as an expression of ao, which makes sense.

1 Like

Peoples of Oceana have many words identifying different conditions of the sea, and people in snow regions have the same for snow.

1 Like