Show Us The Most Amazing Junk Graveyards

In Alto, Georgia, dozens of school buses have been retired to The School Bus Graveyard, where they’re used as canvases, and transformed into magical works of art. It’s a place where any artist can venture to find inspiration. Further to the north, a field in Sparta, Wisconsin is the final resting place of hundreds of cartoonish fiberglass designs. The area is dotted with unpainted molds of giant horses, mice, and sharks, as though they’d just sprouted like the surrounding weeds. All over the world, junk graveyards like these have become sites of wondrous desolation. They can range in size, scope, and composition, filled with everything from planes to phone booths, but all of them have their own atmosphere of decayed beauty. Now, we’d love to see some of the most extraordinary junk boneyards and item graveyards that you’ve ever discovered.

(Image: Matias Misael/Public Domain)

In the thread below, tell us about the most unforgettable junk graveyard that you’ve ever encountered. Tell us where it is, how you found it, and what about it makes it magical? What did you see that was unexpected? Be sure to include any pictures you might have as well. Your response may be included in an upcoming round-up article on Atlas Obscura!

5 Likes

I worked a summer near Mt. Shasta in northern California. While hiking through a forest, I came upon a bunch of junk cars, spread about the woods. After some research, it turns out this area was the town dump back in the 30’s to the 60’s. When it was turned into a recreational area, the cars were left there. My pictures are here: Junk Cars Project | Flickr

4 Likes

Out in the desert of southern California, near the border with Mexico, lies a collection of well loved trucks and buses. It’s called The Motor Transport Museum, but really it’s the best place to store everything you could ever want or need to restore pretty much anything that had a motor and was on wheels. It’s an old boys club, but so be it. The people who pass their days here working on restoration projects spent their careers building rockets and making movies. Their backgrounds so diverse and the intellect of those aging minds stops one in their tracks wondering how so much talent could wind up in this desolate place, bringing back to life with gleaming paint, reflective chrome, and purring engines, these beasts of burden from a by gone era. More photos here martin-banks.com
_DSC0078 _DSC0117 _DSC0149 _DSC9977

5 Likes

Junk piling up in my filing cabinet, still unfolding, a little part of the universe, nevertheless amazing that it exists at all .

3 Likes

Airplane boneyard (Davis-Monthan Air Force Base) in Tucson, AZ

4 Likes

While I was in college in the Hudson Valley we ran a student garage. My pal used to take me to this “junkyard” that still had parts for his old '60s Dodge. I can’t remember where exactly it was, or even which side of the river. I remember we had to drive way out on dirt roads into Li’l Abner country, and wrecked cars would start appearing in between the trees, more and more as we went along. Some of them the trees had grown up through and around, but in a couple of cases there were 50 year old cars wedged between 100 year old trees; it boggled the mind how some of them got situated on steep slopes far from the track.
Stranger still, this was apparently a working chicken farm, though I never saw or heard a chicken there. When we went to pay for the parts we had pulled, we went to a shed with two huge early 20th century incubators the size of grocery store refrigerators, full of eggs that revolved a half turn every once in a while.
It was quite a psychedelic experience. I was usually a bit hungover when we trekked out there on the weekend, and the ghostly ruins of cars in the trees contrasted with the locker full of spring chicken eggs seemed a long way to go for a slant-six water pump, but it was more fun than NAPA Auto.

2 Likes

The steam paddlewheeler graveyard across and down the Yukon River from Dawson City is other worldly.
see

https://dawsoncity.ca/attraction/paddlewheel-graveyard/
or google
“ship graveyard dawson city”
If you go be aware of the mosquito hordes - except maybe in winter :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also have a filing cabinet full of interesting articles and stories! I use it for my creative writing hobby, some good inspiration is in there even though every one else thinks it’s all a bunch of junk!!!

1 Like

One of my favourites is the Bottle Tree Ranch between LA and Vegas!

DSC05470

1 Like