Show Us The Most Incredible Carousels

The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis has an original restored Dentzel menagerie carousel that still runs daily (except the last three weeks of September) to tunes from a 1919 Wurlitzer organ. (Free for members; $1 for nonmembers.) Dentzel carved the animals (horses, lions, tigers, giraffes, goats) before 1900, and they were first put in place in 1917 in a Mangels-Illions mechanism in the Broad Ripple Amusement Park in Indianapolis, Indiana. All but one of the animals on the restored ride are original. https://thehistory.childrensmuseum.org/collections/iconic-objects/carousel
TCM-Carousel

7 Likes

The enchanting Carousel of Happiness in the tiny mountain town of Nederland, Colorado! Hand-carved, whimsical rideable animals on a historic 1910 carousel chassis, with music from a 1913 Wurlitzer band organ. Creating the carousel was a decades-long labor of love by Nederland resident and Vietnam vet Scott Harrison. Carousel rides are $2. My favorite animal to ride is the chicken with a pearl necklace.

9 Likes

If I remember correctly, it’s more than 200 animals and, as mentioned, not a single horse — but plenty of unicorns!

House on the Rock

4 Likes

This photo of a burning carousel in Bergamo, Italy, made the rounds at reddit and social media. A lot of puns followed (“The end is neigh!” “The stuff of night mares.”) It immediately brought to mind this old Todd Rundgren song.

3 Likes

Hope I’m not repeating any story here, but the Silver Beach Carousel in St. Joseph, MI by the shores of Lake Michigan has quite a story and connection with carousel societies. Silver Beach Carousel - History

carousel

3 Likes

Philadelphia Toboggan Company #6 at the Kit Carson County Fairgrounds in Burlington, Colorado. Originally purchased for Elitch Gardens in Denver it came to Burlington in the early 1920’s. It still has its original paint and the original Wurlitzer Monster Military Band Organ. It is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day and rides are still 25 cents. As a bonus it is also open on the first Sunday in December when it is decorated for Christmas and they play Christmas music on the organ. https://www.kitcarsoncountycarousel.com/

5 Likes

The indoor carousel at the House on the Rock in Spring Green, WI.

5 Likes

You are correct, that’s why its nicknamed “The Queen city”.

The park and carousel doesn’t have the same feel as it did when I grew up there as a kid. It was a vibrant park with big trees, playgrounds full of kids and snow cone stands, but time has passed, the city is in serious decline, and in my opinion, that takes away significantly from the carousel experience. Its still a landmark, but the experience just isn’t the same anymore.

1 Like

I was going to post the same thing. I love the Carousel of Happiness in Ned! I also love the viewing room upstairs and the little puppet theater.

1 Like

Herschell Factory Carrousel Museum in North Tonawanda, New York, is the perfect place to learn how these amazing creations were created. Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum - Home

2 Likes

The carousel at Glen Echo Park, Maryland
Dentzel%20Carousel%20-%20Glen%20Echo%20Park

3 Likes

The Looff Carousel in Santa Cruz, CA

My favorite ride at the boardwalk.

Hand-carved by Danish woodcarver Charles I.D. Looff (who also did the carousel placed at Coney Island), the Looff Carousel was installed August 1911.

Taken from the boardwalk website:
“Each horse is unique, with colorful details, from swords at their sides to garlands of flowers around their necks. Real horse hair tails, muscular bodies, and decorative, jeweled trappings also add to the charm. In all, the carousel is home to 73 horses (71 jumpers and two standers) and two Roman chariots decorated with the heads of rams and cherubs.

It is also one of only a handful of carousels in the world still featuring a working ring dispenser. Rings were once hand loaded by “ring boys,” as the young employees were called. The process was mechanized in 1950. Steel rings are used today, with brass plated rings added on special occasions. Riders on outside horses can grab rings from a dispenser as they spin, then toss them into a large clown’s gaping mouth, rewarded by bells and flashing lights.”

One of the most distinctive features of this carousel is its original 342-pipe Ruth & Sohn band organ; the ride also features two other music machines installed in the 2000s.

You can read more about the Carousel’s history here: 1911 Looff Carousel Circles the Generations | Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

4 Likes

Super intricate design! Thanks for sharing :fist:

The Grand Carousel in Memphis is lovely, too.
https://ilovememphisblog.com/2017/11/ride-the-grand-carousel-at-the-childrens-museum-of-memphis/

2 Likes

This is some great info and facts!! Thanks a great deal for taking the time to share this info!

There’s also a nice one in Kensington Gardens in London. The horses are painted rainbow colors and several of them are named after members of the royal family.

3 Likes

Awesome picture and thanks for sharing! Although I must admit I saw Indianapolis and immediately felt sad again…I’m a diehard Colts fan lol.:pensive:

The handmade carousel at Lark Toys in Kellogg, Minnesota (https://www.larktoys.com/carousel/) is well worth a visit.23%20AM

2 Likes

Nunley’s - first in Brooklyn, then in Baldwin, now in Garden City. A life on Long Island, most Long Islanders probably visited Nunleys at some point and road the carousel. Saved from demolition, it is such a unique example of craftsmanship rarely seen these days.

1 Like

Lovely fantasy

carousel in Chattanooga and a visit to the factory that still makes them makes it a perfect visit !

4 Likes