Show Us the Most Incredible Topiary Gardens You've Ever Seen

Was I aware of the existence of elaborate sculptural topiary before seeing the darkly whimsical creations featured in Tim Burton’s Edward Scissorhands? I don’t know, but I do know that for as long as I can remember, I’ve been fascinated by the surreal beauty of intricately shaped shrubbery. Exotic animals, strange totems, and abstract shapes, the best topiary looks like it grew naturally into such impossible, uncanny shapes. And all across the globe, in places like The Topiary Park in Ohio; Maryland’s Ladew Topiary Gardens; and Costa Rica’s Parque Francisco Alvarado, ornamental shrubbery hunters can find expertly shaped greenery that looks better suited for a Dr. Seuss book than the real world. Now we want to hear about the most unbelievable topiary that you’ve ever encountered!

(Image: Skitterphoto/Public Domain)

In the comments below, tell us about the most incredible topiary gardens and monumental pieces of ornamental shrubbery that you’ve ever seen. Let us know where you encountered it, what you found so amazing about the topiary, whether it’s still there, and anything else you might know about the unforgettable natural sculpture! And if you have pictures of your amazing topiary, we want to see those too! Your response may be included in an upcoming round-up article on Atlas Obscura.

3 Likes

Garden jazz

13 Likes

TREE CHAMELEON

13 Likes

GREEN FLUTTER

WHO LET THE DOG OUT?

GARDEN ZOO

LADY AND THE TRAMP

MAESTRO’s BOW

THE TOPIARY OF DORDOGNE

12 Likes

Where?

Yes. Where is this wonderful garden?

What awesome pics! Thanks!

1 Like

8 Likes

7 Likes

Interesting pictures, though there’s none in particular I like the best, at least for now. Do the people who posted the pictures know anything about the topiary makers, though? I’d be pretty interested to hear something about them and maybe of any topiary techniques anybody on here knows, however small or beginner ones! This thread has really piqued my interest!

1 Like

Ladew Topiary Garden north of Baltimore was the lifetime project of a fox hunting enthusiast who was wealthy enough to not need to work. Big evergreen bushes were turned into walls, pyramids, cones, wreaths. They get trimmed once a year, in summer.
Ladew%20Topiary%20Garden%20and%20house-1|666x500

2 Likes

Topiary garden in Longwood Gardens, Pennsylvania. Over 1,077 acres of gardens, woodlands, and meadows with an incredible fountain display & an indoor botanical garden! Hidden gem outside of Philadelphia.

6 Likes

I remember some days ago while I was looking up strange real pictures and this picture just popped out!
Yes dude! This is real. Pardon me if you’ve already know it. lol
It was my first time coming across this incredible picture and since then, It’s my windows wallpaper.
Minneapolis Sculpture garden :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::star_struck:
Minnesota-Minneapolis-Spoonbridge-Cherry-Sculpture-Claes-Oldenburg

6 Likes

These gardens!:heart_eyes:
I can’t imagine how beautiful are they in real!

2 Likes

It was a temporary topiary installation in San Francisco’s park few years back. Speaking of SF, here is another, a permanent one…they must pay an arm & a leg for gardeners!

2 Likes

It was a temporary topiary installation in San Francisco’s park few years back. Here is another one on the subject, in Shanghai’s Century Park…

4 Likes

Here are a couple of links which may be of interest:

1 Like

Amazing lawn of topiary… created and maintained by one determined gardener in the area of San Jose, Costa Rica. Topiaries sit in the lawn of

a spectacular church.

5 Likes

And you can also see the new growth of the branches that have taken root!
Mounts Botanical Garden, West Palm Beach, FL

4 Likes

I just recently visited this sculpture garden in Minneapolis, Minnesota. While I did not see any topiary sculptures, there are some interesting sculptures like the famous " Spoonbridge & Cherry" sculpture that you have pictured. Definitely worth a visit if you ever in the Minneapolis area

1 Like