Show Us The Most Magnificent Oddity Shops

Curiosity and oddity shops tend to embody the phrase “one person’s trash is another person’s treasure.” Not only do they provide a haven to indulge in your weirdness, but they can also be odd little mini-museums. At Toronto, Ontario’s SkullStore Oddity Shop, glass cases are filled to the brim with animal skulls, including a few that are human. Rare taxidermy specimens and dinosaur fossils line the walls, along with a few preserved brains and mummy hands. They might be strange, but here they are, on prominent display, and available for the curious shopper to purchase. The world is full of unforgettable oddity markets, and now we want to hear about your favorite, strangest, and most fascinating curiosity shops.

(Image: Jmabel/Public Domain)

In the thread below, tell us about your favorite curiosity/oddity shop. Tell us where it is, how you found it, and what was it that lured you inside? Antique shops are fair game, but highlight what is it that makes their oddities a cut above the local mom and pop shop. What did you purchase? What was the strangest item you came across that was for sale? Be sure to include any pictures you might have as well. Your response may be included in an upcoming round-up article on Atlas Obscura. Let’s get strange and talk about those fascinating, marvelous, one of a kind curiosity shops that are oddities in and of themselves.

4 Likes

Well, what about this one? A place full of junk and odd stuff, collected by the owner over many years. Yes, it is all for sale, but do take your time to find your way through the rumble, and because the owner loves to have a chat… The place is hard to find as it is not along any main road, in a small village in The Netherlands, called Bennebroek. The sign reads something like: “Ignored by people, loved by God”.

4 Likes

Oddity shops aren’t my cup of tea but I’ve put myself through them to entertain friends and family, and to find unique gifts. The big one in my backyard, and the source of many shells I’ve received crafted into presents, was The Bone Room, now an online store only.

In San Francisco, Paxton Gate is a destination with a terrific garden section where you can pick a terrarium or build your own in the back.

For something a little more romantic, try Loved to Death for jewelry and homewares.

6 Likes

Too bad that The Bone Room brick-and-mortar is closed. Sounds fascinating.

3 Likes

Trundle Manor in Pittsburgh.

http://trundlemanor.com/

2 Likes

I love their disclaimer lol

7 Likes

My personal favorite oddity shoppe is The Oddporium in Arden, Delaware.
The varied inventory is updated and added to regularly, and there are plenty of odd bits to choose from, no matter what fun, creepy, or strange things you’re into!
The owners, Ken and Beth Schuler, are knowledgeable about their inventory, very friendly, and helpful. We love these guys!
Definitely worth a visit!

3 Likes

If you get to London UK, Last Tuesday society The Last Tuesday Society :: Museum of Curiosities

If you get to Oxford UK, Pitt Rivers Museum https://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/

1 Like

By and far the favorite place that I’ve been to so far is Deyrolle Taxidermy in Paris–a multi-story, 150+ year-old shop that also sells its creations, with a small non-taxidermy store on the ground floor. Some taxidermists work on site: I chose a gorgeous, purple-winged insect from their multitude of cases, and they hand-mounted it for me in a frame of my choosing… A very special birthday gift for my husband! :slightly_smiling_face:

Note: They enforce a “No Photography” rule–this shot was taken with my iPhone at my hip.

4 Likes

And another place: Wacko / Soapplant in Hollywood (Los Angeles) California. You’ll find everything and anything in this 7,000+ sq.-foot store, from books to artwork to anime to socks to vintage candy to rubber chickens to clothing to bones to hand-made jewelry to…
You get the idea. Go and get lost in the place!

3 Likes

These are awesome thanks for sharing and the pics :shushing_face::shushing_face: lol

1 Like

Absolutely love this! You did such an amazing job!

Super cool! Thanks for the post!:fist:

1 Like

Alice! You are so kind! Thank you for sharing some Oddporium love!!!

1 Like

THE ODDPORIUM at 2115 Marsh rd Arden Delaware is the best, most terrific shop around! Ken and Beth work tirelessly to stock their collection with everything an oddities collector could dream of… beginner to advanced! They spotlight creations from local artists and artisans, procure the wildest oddities, and create the most inviting and social atmosphere you could ask for!!!

Http://www.oddporium.com

5 Likes

You all have convinced me. Next time I am heading back down south i must stop at The Oddporium

3 Likes

Oddporium just outside Wilmington delaware. Great shop. Ken and Beth are great people and support all types of artists. If you are sensitive to the other side you must stop. Myself and little one def some paranormal experiences just visiting the shop!

2 Likes

Thank you HisandHearse! Love you guys!!!

Thank you so very much!!!
You are the best!