Show Us the World's Greatest Dinosaur Attractions!

No matter how hard I keep wishing it, and I wish it hard, Jurassic Park is still not real. But luckily our world is still FULL of dinosaurs. From the reassembled skeletons that tower over museum halls; to the historically suspect derpasaurus’ found in any number of handmade attractions; to the beloved dinos that stand as unforgettable roadside attractions, dinosaurs are far from extinct (at least in the cultural consciousness). With so many incredible prehistoric creatures out in the world, we can’t hope to find them all on our own. So now we want you to tell us about your favorite dinosaur attractions around the world. And in fact, where is the world’s greatest “living” dinosaur?

(Image: Aditya Vyas/Public Domain)

In the comments below, tell us about your favorite dinosaur attraction, where it is, and what you love about it. Most importantly, if there is a specific dinosaur that you think is maybe the greatest dinosaur in the world, tell us about it! What’s its name? What’s its story? Also if you have any pictures, show us those too. Your response may be included in an upcoming round-up article on Atlas Obscura. We’re living in a Jurassic world, and we don’t even realize it.

I feel like the Natural history Museum’s in London and New York already get huge amounts of attention for their dinosaur exhibits so even though I love those places I’m going to reccomend one of the smaller and less visited places out there.

The Jurassic museum of Asturias is an awesome and incredibly eccentric place to visit if you find yourself in Northern Spain.

The building itself looks like it was designed by an erotically obsessive architect , loads of fascinating fossils and dinosaur bone dioramas and a unique display of T.rex skeletons…ahem…boning.

The grounds of the Museum are visually beautiful , stunning views of the surrounding Asturian landscape and there are plenty of lifesize and pretty realistic dinosaur models dotted around everywhere.

3 Likes

I loved strolling around the fossil exhibits at my college campus every chance I got, but the closest I’ve felt to dinosaurs was visiting the Chicxulub Crater and swimming in the bordering cenotes born from the asteroid’s impact, where I felt the weight of history and, honestly, doom bearing down on me in a sense, but also setting me free.

5 Likes

Carnegie Museum of Natural History’s Dinosaurs in their time is amazing. They have dozens of original fossils on display. Last time I counted 19 dinosaurs and these are the real deal, not replicas. The collection includes 2 T-Rex, Apatosaurus and Diplodocus. It’s definitely a must see.

https://carnegiemnh.org/visitor/exhibitions/dinosaurs-in-their-time/

6 Likes

Indeed. And worth mentioning that you can see dinonsaur footprints at the nearby Playa de Griega.

2 Likes

This was the best place… I hope the collection lives on…

2 Likes

The Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto has been a classic destination for generations of school kids with dinosaurs on the brain. The tragedy of my public school years was the long-awaited school trip I finally was able to go on – and the dino exhibit was closed!!! It was another 20 years before I finally saw my precious dinosaurs. The Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller, Alberta, (northeast of Calgary in the heart of dinosaur country) is a fabulously laid out museum experience.

3 Likes

For dino-lovers of all ages, The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis is my favorite choice. Be sure to see Leonardo, a mummified Brachylophosaurus. The museum has its own dig sites in the western U.S., so you can even participate in uncovering new specimens for their Dinosphere gallery. They’re currently working on a new, $27.5 million addition called Mission Jurassic.

5 Likes

The Black Hills Institute on the main street of Hill City, South Dakota is a great museum full of fossilized prehistoric remains of all kinds. They are not associated with academia, which has made them a target of clubby institutions of higher learning, but they are true professionals and educators. Famous (or infamous depending on who you ask) for finding Tyrannosaurus Sue, the most complete t-rex ever unearthed and getting stuck in a long legal battle, which ended with the remains being transferred to the Field Museum, where you can see them in a recently updated display.

https://www.travelsouthdakota.com/hill-city/arts-culture-history/archaeology-paleontology/black-hills-institute-geological-research?cid=24&gclid=CjwKCAjwqNnqBRATEiwAkHm2BPDxp520eyqNWxm2ruSce3_YTIv7KCMZblI4kZaAyJVXc7kKBcNBBRoCgrYQAvD_BwE

4 Likes

I love the Cabazon dinosaurs in the desert off of I-10 in Southern California. Such iconic figures - you can’t miss them on the drive to or from Arizona, and immortalized in the classic film “Pee Wee’s Big Adventure.”

7 Likes

http://www.prehistoricgardens.com/

My Mom used to take me to this roadside attraction in Port Orford, Oregon when I was growing up, basically a trail through coastal rainforest with life-size concrete dinosaur models. I know 5-year-old me was obsessed with all of the things they got “wrong,” but it’s really an amazing spot and a piece of history.

2 Likes

Yes!! Don’t forget Dippy, the diplodocus statue out front, who gets dressed up in scarves and hats throughout the year! And the fact that you can overlook the dino display from the library stacks. I love this exhibit so much.

2 Likes

Thank you for telling me this Antoine. But I can only say damn it… I missed out on seeing those in April :anguished:

Sadly I had no idea that they were there or I would have most definitely paid them a visit.

But when I am next in Asturias (and I certainly plan to revisit in the future to do some wild wolf watching) I am definitely going to check them out. :grinning:

1 Like

I totally agree Onoma , seeing Chicxulub certainly puts everything existential in a deeptime paleohistoric perspective and definitely makes a person and their notion of life on earth feel liberatingly insignificant.

3 Likes

Chicago’s Field Museum has “Sue” the T-Rex in a new exhibit, apart from the museum’s main floor; the exhibit gives details of the dig that discovered Sue, as well as providing more info and context than just the previous spectacle.
And then there’s the Sinclair dinosaur statue, a feature of many of Sinclair’s fuel stations along I-80 (and other interstates) from Iowa to Colorado. Great photo spots for kids during road trips—yet can I find one to share? :?)

1 Like

So this is not an actual dinosaur skeleton. Those are inside the Field Museum. This guy is outside:

3 Likes

I love the Arizona Museum of Natural History in Tempe. They have some outstanding exhibits, a few of which rocked me back on my heels. But there are dinosaurs everywhere both inside and out, and one who is decidedly trying to break out.

4 Likes

Tucson, AZ is a dinosaur haven. This one was found lurking in the bushes at the Tucson Botanical Gardens.

2 Likes

How can you beat Dinosaurs being used as Weapons of Mass Destruction? Artist Mark Cline’s vision comes to life at Dinosaur Kingdom 2 in Natural Bridge, VA.

1 Like

Here in Texas, we have a unique state park west of Fort Worth called Dinosaur Valley State Park, that has become legendary for the number of footprints and fossils found here. The beautiful clear waters of the Paluxy river flow through the park, and that is where many of the footprints are found. The result is the unique experience of being able to enjoy swimming holes with dinosaur footprints, even touching them and feeling possibly the closest connection you’ve ever felt to the giants that walked that ground before you.

2 Likes