Show Us the World's Most Incredible Mail Boxes!

There are few purer joys than the little rush you get when receiving a postcard or letter in the mail. But what you don’t hear a lot about is how good it can feel to drop a letter off in a mailbox. There’s the pure pleasure of sending something to someone you care about, but there’s also a sort of sense of fulfillment in having accomplished something (even if that something is relatively minor. With as pleasant as the whole experience can be, it’s little wonder that there are wondrous mailboxes all over the world that make using the mail even more unforgettable.

Whether it’s one of the most remote mail drops in the United States, a pirate post box on a desert island, or a novelty mail drop for fairies, mail boxes can make for terrific mundane wonders. Now we want to hear about the most incredible mailboxes that you’ve ever encountered!

(Image: Siarhei Plashchynski/Public Domain)

In the thread below, tell us about the most wondrous mailbox you’ve ever encountered. Where did you discover it, and what makes it so incredible? Of course if you have any pictures of your incredible mailbox, share those with us too! Your responses may be included in an upcoming round-up article on Atlas Obscura.

2 Likes

It’s not my mailbox, but boy oh boy would I love to have a a fresh, crunchy baguette delivered every day.

7 Likes

How funny, I was just looking at a book last night by a local artist here who went around taking pictures of all the strange and unusual mailboxes in Dunedin, FL. A whole bunch of them are captured here: Dunedin FL mailboxes | Love it! in 2019 | Mailbox, Unique mailboxes, Cool mailboxes

6 Likes

This was someone’s private mailbox that I happened upon along a trail in Belgrade, Serbia. It was so charming!

14 Likes

I love that face!

1 Like

This is from Spain, taken for my grandson whom I thought would be intrigued with “feeding” the lions mail.

9 Likes

Why have a little old box when you can make use of an old refrigerator?

Mailboxes @ Kangaroo Island, Australia by Tim Parkinson, on Flickr

Maybe not “wondrous”, but I got a kick out of this Kangaroo Island community.

10 Likes

Oh wow, those are insane!

It is not so much the design (sorta) or location (ditto) but the history of this ordinary, solitary mailbox. In the early part of the 1950’s King George VI (initials G v iR ) had just passed away & Queen Elizabeth II ( initials E ii R ) was to take the throne. Certain factions of Scotland, Nationalist, did not deem Queen Elizabeth, or her ilk, to be the rightful heirs to rule over Scotland. On the week that this pill box was to be unveiled it was: defaced, tarred, & eventually it was blown to bits by explosives! After a bit, it was replaced with another, though embossed with the cypher initials of G v i R. Because of this hostile reaction all post boxes north of the border are now marked simply with the Scottish Crown (Lion and Unicorn).

9 Likes

These joyful mailboxes are a landmark and tourist attraction, on Canyon Road in Santa Fe, NM.

4 Likes

On the Washington state side of the Columbia River Gorge, an unassuming, fading mailbox punctuates a scenic drive surrounded by vineyards and rolling floodscapes. The Maryhill Stonehenge Memorial, completed in 1929 and modeled after, of course, the OG Stonehenge, was the first monument in the US to honor fallen soldiers during WWI.

Prior to August, 2017, the last total solar eclipse to touch the continental US did so in the Pacific Northwest in 1979 before arcing up into Canada and disappearing into the Arctic. Totality was briefly visible here in the Columbia River Gorge, and this Washingtonian Stonehenge memorial, on that day, also served as a gathering place for all manner of Pacific Northwest druids and neopagans.

I’ve always wondered what kind of mail Stonehenge receives!

7 Likes

That’s an incredible story! Thank you for sharing!

I bet it’s from druids mainly.

1 Like

I must be weird – I see Chewbacca!

2 Likes

La Casa de l’Ardiaca, Barcelona

For good luck in Barcelona, go to La Casa de l’Ardiaca and touch this turtle.

If you look closely you’ll see this is really a letterbox. The birds symbolize the hope that you’ll get your mail soon, but the turtle is a nod to the reality of how slow the mail system really is.

8 Likes

There are spectacular mailboxes, and there are fun and silly mailboxes. I’ve encountered variations on this theme a few times, but this was the most impressive and comprehensive mailbox of it’s type I’ve seen. This was in Colorado. I took the photo in October, 1995. Unfortunately, I can’t tell exactly where it was taken. I found it on a trip to the Great Sand Dunes, Mesa Verde, and Black Canyon of the Gunnison, so it’s somewhere in the south west of the state.

4 Likes

Yes, just a bland old US Postal box. Except it’s in Havana, Cuba, left over from the days of the Mob in the mid to late 50’s, or before. (?) Picture taken 2016 on an AO tour.

6 Likes

This fiendish looking fellow is in Florence Italy.

8 Likes

This postbox featuring teen girl skateboarders hanging out from Bratislava, Slovakia is my all time favourite!

Credit: welcometobratislava.eu

7 Likes

I made this mailbox in response to a prompt from GISH, the Greatest International Scavenger Hunt, in August 2019. The task was to create a terrifying mailbox. It is a regular metal mailbox with a hinged lid, onto which I glued real animal fur, teeth, and skin, as well as miscellaneous other found objects. See my other artwork at www.jenniferhunterart.com. (Photo by Martha Ingols)

9 Likes