Show Us the World's Most Incredible Mail Boxes!

On the Washington state side of the Columbia River Gorge, an unassuming, fading mailbox punctuates a scenic drive surrounded by vineyards and rolling floodscapes. The Maryhill Stonehenge Memorial, completed in 1929 and modeled after, of course, the OG Stonehenge, was the first monument in the US to honor fallen soldiers during WWI.

Prior to August, 2017, the last total solar eclipse to touch the continental US did so in the Pacific Northwest in 1979 before arcing up into Canada and disappearing into the Arctic. Totality was briefly visible here in the Columbia River Gorge, and this Washingtonian Stonehenge memorial, on that day, also served as a gathering place for all manner of Pacific Northwest druids and neopagans.

I’ve always wondered what kind of mail Stonehenge receives!

8 Likes

That’s an incredible story! Thank you for sharing!

I bet it’s from druids mainly.

1 Like

I must be weird – I see Chewbacca!

2 Likes

La Casa de l’Ardiaca, Barcelona

For good luck in Barcelona, go to La Casa de l’Ardiaca and touch this turtle.

If you look closely you’ll see this is really a letterbox. The birds symbolize the hope that you’ll get your mail soon, but the turtle is a nod to the reality of how slow the mail system really is.

8 Likes

There are spectacular mailboxes, and there are fun and silly mailboxes. I’ve encountered variations on this theme a few times, but this was the most impressive and comprehensive mailbox of it’s type I’ve seen. This was in Colorado. I took the photo in October, 1995. Unfortunately, I can’t tell exactly where it was taken. I found it on a trip to the Great Sand Dunes, Mesa Verde, and Black Canyon of the Gunnison, so it’s somewhere in the south west of the state.

7 Likes

Yes, just a bland old US Postal box. Except it’s in Havana, Cuba, left over from the days of the Mob in the mid to late 50’s, or before. (?) Picture taken 2016 on an AO tour.

7 Likes

This fiendish looking fellow is in Florence Italy.

9 Likes

This postbox featuring teen girl skateboarders hanging out from Bratislava, Slovakia is my all time favourite!

Credit: welcometobratislava.eu

7 Likes

I made this mailbox in response to a prompt from GISH, the Greatest International Scavenger Hunt, in August 2019. The task was to create a terrifying mailbox. It is a regular metal mailbox with a hinged lid, onto which I glued real animal fur, teeth, and skin, as well as miscellaneous other found objects. See my other artwork at www.jenniferhunterart.com. (Photo by Martha Ingols)

11 Likes

Custom made mailbox in Chincoteague: a miniature version of the house in the background.

7 Likes

This mailslot is in Valletta, Malta. Most of the doorways were adorned with lovely knobs, knockers, and number plaques and were painted a rainbow of colors.

3 Likes

For a baguette, delivered!

Tahiti.

1 Like

One of the world’s biggest mailboxes in Casey, Illinois. This is one of many over-sized objects found throughout town. Check it out!

4 Likes

Love it, reduce, reuse, recycle in action. Here in NZ we see a lot of old microwaves being used in more remote areas.

2 Likes

I live In Clearwater so I’ll have to drive through Dunedin more often to see if I can find some of these fabulous mailboxes. Thanks for posting them!

2 Likes

Nice and “scary” mailbox in Miami, Florida.

4 Likes

This was in Germany at a really cool Airbnb we stayed at. It’s part mailbox, part intercom/doorbell to call the host when you arrive.

5 Likes

I wonder what they do for fun

Putting a retired John Deere to work

A real one is just behind the fence

Delivery comes with a warning

Stick it, Mr. Mailman

Decommissioned

After many failed attempts to sell it on eBay

While I wait for my mail to arrive…

I prefer my letters hickory-scented

No pressure for timely delivery

Pick a slot…any slot