Show Us Your Amazing Rock Formations

The earth is truly an amazing place. Across the globe, natural wonders exist that redefine our concepts of beauty, nature, purpose, and place. When I was a kid, I would peruse the pages of my mom’s National Geographic magazines, in awe of the pictures of unique earthworks and rock formations. Being surrounded by subdivisions and cityscape, seeing things like The Wave in Arizona or the Tufa Towers at Mono Lake filled me with a sense of curiosity and wonder. It allowed me to imagine being there, even if just for a few seconds. Now we want to see some of your favorite rock formations from across the globe!

(Image: John Fowler/Public Domain)

Tell us about the most incredible rock formations you’ve ever encountered, and share what the experience was like. Be sure to include any pictures you might have as well! Your response may be included in an upcoming round-up article on Atlas Obscura. Did your favorite geologic wonder change your outlook on life or provide clarity during a rough patch? Perhaps it was just a freaking awesome experience and you’ve been dying to share it with someone! Well, we are all ears.

9 Likes

My photos don’t do justice to the experience of watching the sun rise (and set) in and around Arches National Park, Utah. There were moments on this trip that literally took my breath away. One moment in particular was on the drive south from Salt Lake City… as I came over a hump in the road the immense landscape just unfolded right in front of me, and there was an incredible thunderstorm brewing in the distance with gorgeous evening light streaming from the west. I genuinely gasped and was brought to tears. An unforgettable experience.

7 Likes

I’m a sucker for ocean-weathered rocks and cliffs. The Bondi-to-Coogee walk in Sydney was the absolute highlight of my short visit to Australia, just an impressive feature of nature. The bays of suburban Wellington, New Zealand have a lot of impressive rocks as well, specially for the colors. I remember rust-red and black cliffs from my time there. Unfortunately, I missed the near-spherical Moeraki Boulders though.

All in all, I’d say nothing shapes a good rock like the Pacific, and that brings me to my favorites. While Quintana Roo’s Caribbean and Puerto Vallarta’s tropical, typical coasts are Mexico’s most-visited and best-known beach destinations, my heart belongs to the Oaxacan Riviera. It is in the main destination of this coast, Puerto Escondido, that I first fell in love with the “ocean walk”.

I wrote a still-unpublished entry on the “Possible Dream” Scenic Walkway in Puerto and it still holds a special place in my heart, https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/andador-escenico-sueno-posible.

On the other side of town, past the surf-famous Zicatela beach there’s a wonderful series of jagged caves and rocks, many of which are inhabited by bats, snakes and crabs alike.

9 Likes

I love unique rock formations, especially in the Colorado Plateau (Four Corners) region of the western US. This one is from the amazing Bisti Badlands wilderness area in northwestern New Mexico. I call it “Ice Cream Rock.”

12 Likes

This mountain in Yuma County, AZ is called Castle Dome, but in the early years it was listed on army maps as “S.H. Mountains”. The “H” stood for “House”.
Castle%20Dome%20Range

BTW if you look from any other angle, it looks like just another mountain.

5 Likes

This is so unique looking!!

1 Like

These are some awesome photos! I could only imagine that moment of beauty, once in a lifetime. Thanks for sharing!!

2 Likes

Here in Orocovis, Puerto Rico we have this small oddity known locally as “Piedra Monta” or Mounted Stone balancing precariously over another one. Yes, is also my profile pic.

This next formation is more well known and famous, they’re formally called Las Piedras del Collado and is debated whether they’re in the town of Cayey or Salinas, currently they’re considered part of the latter. The name they are known for is not appropriate for this forum, but feel free to look it up. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Valley of fire state park near Moapa, NV. I have never seen sandstone with that variety of colors anywhere else. Like a sunset caught in stone.

![image|666x500]
So many people come to Southern Nevada for Las Vegas, never realizing that they are speeding past places that are so much better for your soul.

9 Likes

Fantasy canyon south of Vernal, UT. It’s about a 2 acre area, and it is surrounded by a hell of fracking derricks, but the rocks are mind boggling. Extremely fragile, too.

12 Likes

Here are a couple of photos from a trip some mates and I took to Kangaroo Island, off the coast of South Australia. The site is called Remarkable Rocks and comes complete with seals as an added bonus. Cheers Allan

6 Likes

Located between Capital Reef NP and Moab UT is Goblin Valley State Park. These formations were made by tidal pools. The photos are only a small portion of the “goblins”

9 Likes

Those are amazing pics!! Thanks for sharing :beers:

3 Likes

They look like toadstools, nature is amazing.

2 Likes

Both my contributions come from Colombia, an incredible country with such varied landscapes; you can find the Amazon rainforest, grassy plains, deserts, jungles and tropical coastlines all in one country!

The first picture is from Guaviare which is called the gateway to the Amazon. This rock is called La Puerta de Orion (Orion’s Gate). The indigenous people living there thought it was a portal to another universe, and at certain times of year you can see Orion’s Belt through the hole, hence the name.

5 Likes

There are also several other really cool rock formations around Guaviare, like these natural stone bridges:

3 Likes

We just went to Antelope Canyon in Page, AZ. It was fantastic!

9 Likes

Interpetive paint mines - Calahan Colorado

5 Likes

and these mind boggling structures:
62960176_Unknown

3 Likes

The second place in Colombia I’ve seen amazing rock formations is in the Tatacoa Desert:

5 Likes