Show Us Your Favorite Roadside "Big Thing"

So it’s safe to say that you enjoy giant roadside novelties, @asta?

1 Like

Not necessarily. I do have few good pics of roadside bugs and clovers too! :slight_smile:
I just love to travel, a passion of mine since the early days.

1 Like

And I can’t thank you enough for sharing that passion with all of us!

2 Likes

Sadly “ship motel” (as it was known to us locals when I was a kid) is no longer with us. I think I talked about this here in the past. Regardless: Grand View Point Hotel - Wikipedia

2 Likes

I have beautiful memories of seeing the World’s Largest Popcorn Ball in Sac City, Iowa. Since it is stored in a non-climate controlled shed, it serves as a very large snack for bugs and has seen better days. As one visiting child adeptly noted in the guestbook located beside it: “It big and drity.”

1 Like

potato

crisp

2 Likes

These are awesome

I passed this every summer as a kid heading to Myrtle Beach. I always wanted to stop there and my mom always refused. Fast forward a couple of years and she did the same thing with my niece, she refuses to go there. My mom is not a fan of the South of the Border lol. In her words “ain’t nothing over there worth stopping for” :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Maybe not my favorite, but a fun one none-the-less. It can be found along Interstate 94 West Between the Southfield Freeway interchange and Outer Drive overpass in
Allen Park, Michigan.

It was created by the Uniroyal Tire Company for the 1964 New York World’s Fair, as a Ferris wheel.

6 Likes

I was sure I had more of these, but particularly the brobdingnagian Paul Bunyan and Babe at Trees of Mystery outside of Crescent City, CA

The Cabazon Dinosaurs are still classics.

They’re not the biggest, but I have a low-key obsession with finding repurposed “Muffler Men” around California (Photo courtesy of LA Magazine, not my own work) https://cdn2.lamag.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/07/lasalsa.jpg

5 Likes

In Hayward California, Bell Plastics resides.
They can make ANYTHING out of plastic, fiberglass, and the like. They specialize in restoring large promotional statues such as the “Muffler Men” / Paul Bunyons of the world.

They hold an annual open house. My photos are from last year. - come visit Sunday August 18th 2019 10AM-5PM
2020 National Ave. Hayward, CA

6 Likes

That Alfred E. Newman is horrifying.

2 Likes

Oh wow. This place looks incredible. I see a doggie diner head!

I’m confused by the use of the word “oversided”.

The world’s largest psyanka is in Vegreville, Alberta, Canada.

How the heck do you post a photo on this?

How about a giant basket of olives, in the middle of a roundabout near Ronda, Spain.

6 Likes

thats so clever lol

Stationed in Korea 1993, we drove to the north to Seoraksan National Park, we just crossed the 38th Parallel and this monument was at the Highway rest area (Turtles are for good fortune and longevity) at the top were dragons.

turtle%20Mangwoo18

2 Likes

Vegreville, Alberta, Canada: World’s Largest Easter Egg - The Pysanka

3 Likes