Show Us Your Favorite Roadside "Big Thing"

I was sure I had more of these, but particularly the brobdingnagian Paul Bunyan and Babe at Trees of Mystery outside of Crescent City, CA

The Cabazon Dinosaurs are still classics.

They’re not the biggest, but I have a low-key obsession with finding repurposed “Muffler Men” around California (Photo courtesy of LA Magazine, not my own work) https://cdn2.lamag.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/07/lasalsa.jpg

5 Likes

In Hayward California, Bell Plastics resides.
They can make ANYTHING out of plastic, fiberglass, and the like. They specialize in restoring large promotional statues such as the “Muffler Men” / Paul Bunyons of the world.

They hold an annual open house. My photos are from last year. - come visit Sunday August 18th 2019 10AM-5PM
2020 National Ave. Hayward, CA

6 Likes

That Alfred E. Newman is horrifying.

2 Likes

Oh wow. This place looks incredible. I see a doggie diner head!

I’m confused by the use of the word “oversided”.

The world’s largest psyanka is in Vegreville, Alberta, Canada.

How the heck do you post a photo on this?

How about a giant basket of olives, in the middle of a roundabout near Ronda, Spain.

6 Likes

thats so clever lol

Stationed in Korea 1993, we drove to the north to Seoraksan National Park, we just crossed the 38th Parallel and this monument was at the Highway rest area (Turtles are for good fortune and longevity) at the top were dragons.

turtle%20Mangwoo18

2 Likes

Vegreville, Alberta, Canada: World’s Largest Easter Egg - The Pysanka

3 Likes

There’s a giant blue ribbon beer can on its side on the north side of I-15 north of Vegas.

The Peachoid, in Gaffney, South Carolina! My family drives past it almost every year, and never fails to gawk at it.
Peachoid-gaffney

7 Likes

Where is this?! I am going to Ronda soon!

The tiny town of Casey, Illinois, along highway 70 about an hour from Indiana, is home to 7 of the world’s largest things (verified by Guiness) and a bunch of other big stuff. Golf tee, knitting needles, crochet hook, wind chimes, mailbox, rocking chair, wooden shoes. My family discovered it by accident a few years ago and we return once in a while to see what they have added.

images

4 Likes

Ronda is awesome. Most romantic place I’ve ever been.
Here is that roundabout on a map:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.0617725,-5.0908705,16.61z

Thank you very much!

Next time you’re in Tulsa, pack a picnic lunch and head for the Blue Whale

- everybody’s favorite concrete critter located north of town in Catoosa on Route 66.

2 Likes

Lucy the Elephant in Margate NJ358px-Lucy_the_Margate_Elephant_HABS_NJ%2C1-MARGCI%2C1-7

3 Likes

So driving around rural Saudi Arabia recently, and they love the big stuff. Some are really obscure, some are horrendous, occasionally there is real talent. Mostly totally sincere. This is the cream of the crop. Sorry if it’s too many - this seems like the right place for them.

6 Likes