Show Us Your Favorite Roadside "Big Thing"

Stationed in Korea 1993, we drove to the north to Seoraksan National Park, we just crossed the 38th Parallel and this monument was at the Highway rest area (Turtles are for good fortune and longevity) at the top were dragons.

turtle%20Mangwoo18

2 Likes

Vegreville, Alberta, Canada: World’s Largest Easter Egg - The Pysanka

3 Likes

There’s a giant blue ribbon beer can on its side on the north side of I-15 north of Vegas.

The Peachoid, in Gaffney, South Carolina! My family drives past it almost every year, and never fails to gawk at it.
Peachoid-gaffney

7 Likes

Where is this?! I am going to Ronda soon!

The tiny town of Casey, Illinois, along highway 70 about an hour from Indiana, is home to 7 of the world’s largest things (verified by Guiness) and a bunch of other big stuff. Golf tee, knitting needles, crochet hook, wind chimes, mailbox, rocking chair, wooden shoes. My family discovered it by accident a few years ago and we return once in a while to see what they have added.

images

4 Likes

Ronda is awesome. Most romantic place I’ve ever been.
Here is that roundabout on a map:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.0617725,-5.0908705,16.61z

Thank you very much!

Next time you’re in Tulsa, pack a picnic lunch and head for the Blue Whale

- everybody’s favorite concrete critter located north of town in Catoosa on Route 66.

2 Likes

Lucy the Elephant in Margate NJ358px-Lucy_the_Margate_Elephant_HABS_NJ%2C1-MARGCI%2C1-7

3 Likes

So driving around rural Saudi Arabia recently, and they love the big stuff. Some are really obscure, some are horrendous, occasionally there is real talent. Mostly totally sincere. This is the cream of the crop. Sorry if it’s too many - this seems like the right place for them.

6 Likes

On Rt. 202 North,south of Flemington NJ are 2 oversized Adiromdack chairs painted bright yellow. Yellow is my wifes favorite color and I jokingly offered to steal one for her.

The chairs appear at 8 seconds in the video…
1 Like

How is it possible that you included the world’s largest frying pan in Long Beach WA and neglected the world’s largest razor clam (that spits water for a quarter) standing right next to it:

Also, right across the street at the amazing Marsh’s Free Museum (home of Jake the Alligator Man) there are a pair of the world’s largest chopsticks right in front:

3 Likes

In addition to the world’s largest bison in Jamestown ND and the sculptures on the Enchanted Highway posted by another reader, I-94 also hosts Salem Sue, the world’s largest cow in New Salem ND:

As well as Sandy, the world’s largest sandhill crane in Steele ND:

3 Likes

They could very well be. I do know that school groups on field trips could get their water containers filled up with soda if they wanted it and lots of kids had Coleman jugs.

jspdw9vw1prz
From a Reddit nostalgia thread

2 Likes

My mom wouldn’t let us stop there either, so when on a business trip as an adult, I finally went there. What wonderful tacky souvenirs! I brought some home with me, including a Confederate flag that was only used as a curtain and the house was back a long lane, so nobody ever saw the flag.

1 Like

Beautiful nursery! I li

South of the Border has (or had, when I was a kid) world-class fireworks for sale - DEFINITELY something worth shopping for!!

2 Likes

Ahhh how could i forget about that. They were everywhere!!

1 Like

The BEST anywhere!!

2 Likes