Show Us Your Favorite Roadside "Big Thing"

Roadside America, Shartlesville PA. The Big Little Thing, this miniature village fills an entire skating rink and was the lifetime work of one man. It has towns, suburbs, urban housing, Native American villages, stores, churches, circuses, trains running throughout, sunsets, warmly-lit houses, twinkling street lights, and Kate Smith singing 'God Bless America". What else could you ask for?

4 Likes

I would love to know how many hours went into this. I wouldn’t have the hand-steadiness to build one house lol

2 Likes

CherryPie
World’s Largest Cherry Pie - Charlevoix, Michigan

1 Like

Large Pickle Barrel shaped home in Grand Marais, Michigan

1 Like

Large hot dog in Mackinaw City, Michigan.

2 Likes

I’m certain I’ve mentioned this before in another thread, but I love the Flanders Duck on Long Island.

Much cuter than most oversized road attractions I think! :duck:

2 Likes

We can never see too much Flanders Duck.

4995 Co Rd V, DeForest, WI 53532

1 Like

Don’t know how I could have overlooked as an Angeleno, but Randy’s Donuts and FREE THE TAIL-O-THE-PUP!

1 Like

My parents would always stop here on the way to Delaware from Florida to visit my grandma, back in the 70s and 80s there was a restaurant we all loved, it was dark and atmospheric and me and my sister would get Shirley Temples with the drink umbrellas, sooo sophisticated Hahahaha I ALWAYS got a pair of Mexican Jumping Beans in the gift shop! I think somewhere in my parents house there is an original unused bumper sticker and I know my dad had a 70s style ringer t-shirt which I wore as a nightgown back then, long gone. This place also sold fireworks that were unobtainable (illegal!) in Florida and probably everywhere else, the real loud, dangerous stuff that could easily maim or kill you! My dad was known for his 4th of July fireworks courtesy of smuggling them across quite a few borders and back to Florida!!! Kitsch & GUNPOWDER at its finest!!!

2 Likes

LMAO you aren’t lying! :rofl::joy:

Yes!!! My dad, who is still a big kid at 78, always stocked up there. Those fireworks were a no go i.e. illegal in Florida but my dad still smuggled them south of a few borders, after several heading north to Delaware. It’s a miracle nobody was ever severely injured or deafened but we had some helluva good 4th of July parties! This was back in the 70s and 80s before everyone got so uptight, it’s a miracle how kids managed to survive those times lol

1 Like

I love roadside attractions, big, small and the wackier the better. Great discussion! :+1:t2::+1:t2:

I am pretty sure that’s a typo and it should be oversized. I was puzzled myself until I opened the link.

I remember those beans! They also had lots of cheap magic tricks and the kind of joke items you’d find in the backs of comic books - squeeze-bulb jumping animals, fake vomit, etc. I wish I remembered the food there, this was so long ago!

2 Likes

Yes! We got amazing stuff; huge sparklers you could impale on your lawn, Roman candles, bottle rockets, Catherine wheels, regular and colored sparklers, black cats - tons of fun and no injuries! This was in North Miami Beach…

2 Likes

I still have never been to Cawker City, KS to see this even though I have wanted to go for years and years, but luckily the next twine-a-thon is coming up in August!!! Hmmmm :thinking:

http://www.kansastravel.org/balloftwine.htm

I just remembered those dunking bird toys, I wish I knew what they were called. You stood it in front of a glass and it would “drink” on its own. I think there was something else to them but you’re right, all this was a very long time ago!!!
EDIT: I FOUND THEM lol and it has the explanation of why they were so cool

2 Likes

I lived in Miramar/formerly Hollywood and I was born in Miami. We were practically neighbors.

Thank you, that’s great, I remember those too! Love the link!

1 Like