Show Us Your Favorite Roadside "Big Thing"

I still have never been to Cawker City, KS to see this even though I have wanted to go for years and years, but luckily the next twine-a-thon is coming up in August!!! Hmmmm :thinking:

http://www.kansastravel.org/balloftwine.htm

I just remembered those dunking bird toys, I wish I knew what they were called. You stood it in front of a glass and it would “drink” on its own. I think there was something else to them but you’re right, all this was a very long time ago!!!
EDIT: I FOUND THEM lol and it has the explanation of why they were so cool

2 Likes

I lived in Miramar/formerly Hollywood and I was born in Miami. We were practically neighbors.

Thank you, that’s great, I remember those too! Love the link!

1 Like

Oh yes! We were at the Hollywood Mall and the Hollywood Fashion Square practically every other weekend! I lived not far from 163rd Street mall.

2 Likes

The Hollywood Fashion Center on 441??? If so, that was the best mall EVER in the 70s and early 80s. I was so sad when it closed. It was some kind of giant STAPLES store and now I don’t know what it is, maybe still STAPLES or empty?
163rd Street was also awesome, that strange, white translucent roof!! If you were there when it was thunderstorming, the noise level was crazy loud. Wow!!! Memories of lots of good times. My Grandma lived in North Miami just a little ways south of County Line Road, by where all the car dealerships were, pretty rough area now. I remember how that neighborhood changed. I used to love to stay with her on the weekends, she let me watch Fantasy Island lol

1 Like

If you search for how and why they worked you’ll probably be as surprised as I was, these were very scientific toys! Something about how the temperature of the bird’s head after it dunks in the water and then the temperature difference of the liquid in the tail rises to compensate which propels the dunking action? I think it said rises. So the temperature difference is all that keeps it going. That’s my memory of what I was reading, it was super late at night and I am no scientist. Lol Now I want one of these for my desk!!!

1 Like

I think that must have been it! I’m a little fuzzy on the name, but I loved that mall too. I didn’t know it closed, what a shame. We used to go there more often after the John Walsh tragedy at the Hollywood Mall.
Yeah, that roof was great, though I remember when it was unroofed and had kiddie rides in the plaza in front of Burdines - I used to beg to go on the helicopter ride!
We really were near each other then; my neighborhood’s gone downhill too, what a shame!

1 Like

Wow, that’s really cool! I always loved desk toys but since these were glass of course I couldn’t have one. Thanks for explaining how they work, that sounds right. I’m sure you could find one on eBay or Etsy, maybe “70’s drinking bird toy”? Good luck!

The day that Adam Walsh was abducted, we were at the Hollywood Mall in Sears!! We heard them calling on the announcements that they had a lost little boy. My mom always said that it sounded like they had him at the registers and were looking for his mom. Me and my sister had doctor appointments, shots I believe because we weren’t sick. Anyway, after the appt that morning my mom and grandma wanted to look at lamps. The mall was close by the doctors office. So me and my sister were in the toy section looking at the Barbie dolls ALONE, which is super creepy as the toy section was in the back of the store by the exit doors where he went outside looking for his mom. I mean, the guy who took and murdered him was into little boys, but still…yikes! I was just 11 at that time. Little did we know then what tragedy had happened.

It is sad how much crime came to South Florida because it was a fantastic place to grow up back in those days. I lived in Dania Beach for a few years then moved up to Central Florida and now I have been in Oregon for 3 years. Oregon still isn’t, and will never be, HOME.

Yikes! That’s horrifying to have been so close to a monster, how awful!! I’m glad you all were safe. I think there was a story that an employee made some of the boys leave the store, but I’m not sure if that’s true. By the time all this happened I was away at college, but just the thought that the Sears I used to go to and look at Winnie the Pooh toys was the scene of such a tragedy was sickening.

1 Like

It’s very different between them and now, true. I’ve never been to Oregon but I moved to California and love it; like Florida without the steam!

1 Like

It was terrible and frightening because crimes of such a violent nature, ESPECIALLY concerning a young child were still uncommon in 1981. Heck, we didn’t even lock our doors when I was growing up, you lived in a neighborhood and knew everyone.
I also heard that about the employee told the boys to go outside because they were roughhousing but I don’t think that was the truth, he was only 6 or 7 years old. Later it came out, and I don’t know if this is true, either but it was said that the mother was having a flirtation or an affair with a mall security guard and Adam went outside looking for her. I guess it really doesn’t matter as it doesn’t change the end result, if the rumors about the mother are true, that’s a lot of guilt.

Well, that means that we are still neighbors! What part of California? I am in southern Oregon, Central Point and the California border heading south on I-5 is about 45 minutes and heading west toward Crescent City to get to the Oregon coast is about 1-1/2 hours. And omg you are so right about there being practically no humidity out here, dry as a bone, when we first moved here I couldn’t stop drinking water, I needed a camel hump lol and a cat of coconut oil for my parched skin!! Virtually not a drop of rain in the summer and then it rains a lot in the winter, practically ALL winter, sleet, unless of course it snows. Ugh!! *VAT not cat ha!

If you ever want to come to Oregon, I would love to meet up and take you out to dinner and show you some cool things around here. My door is always open for fellow native Floridian! My name is Tricia, btw, Tamar was my Hebrew name, I only use it online.

I just visited the world’s biggest axe yesterday.

2 Likes

I sure wish digital cameras and mobile phones existed back when I did a lot of traveling. There are some great big things I’ve seen but can’t even remember where I saw them.
Down south, there was a giant acoustic guitar, probably in Tennessee. Somewhere I have an old photo of it. Does anyone know where it is?
In the Pennsylvania Dutch area, a restaurant had a gigantic Amish man out front. I believe his name was Jake. Not sure if he’s still there.
Sorry my memory is so bad. It’s been 30 or 40 years since I saw these wonderful roadside attractions.

1 Like

Hi
Not sure about the Tennessee guitar, but here in Australia we have the big Golden Guitar in Tamworth - promoted as the country music capital of Australia it holds the annual Golden Guitar Awards, celebrating country music in Australia.

Cheers
Allan

3 Likes

Here’s the largest Olive ready for a really big martini. It’s just outside of Corning, California, “the olive capitol of the world”

3 Likes