Show Us Your Favorite Secret Stairway

show-and-tell

Here’s a few more from the collection – and then I’ll stop taking up so much room on this thread :grimacing: – there are many more photos from around the world on my website mnml.me or @mnml.me on Instagram.

Croatia

Ukraine

Portugal

Italy

Thailand

Saudi Arabia

Morocco

Germany

22 Likes

I found myself wandering around Munich’s Neue Rathaus. Lots of cool little mysterious staircases.

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing these! Also, your Instagram is incredible.

4 Likes

The Bristol Hotel in Genoa

Hôtel de Sèze in Paris

The Laeiszhof in Hamburg

In Valparaiso, Chile

16th Avenue Tiled Steps in San Francisco

On a building in Rome

Inside the abandoned Łapalice Castle in Poland

Levada do Rei trail in Madeira, Portugal

22 Likes

Wow. These are all insane. I love that one in Portugal!

5 Likes

Just a sweet small stairway below our 3rd floor condo window. In the summer and fall it is hidden amidst the trees. It is part of the Portland Trails on the East End Of Portland, Maine. Casco Bay is just a few yards away. It is like my own little gem.

7 Likes

Staircase at the San Francisco MOMA. There is always something special at the top (or the bottom).

4 Likes

You may need to zoom to see them, but these regular-sized stairs are dwarfed by the immense cave structure at Batu Caves, Selangor in Malaysia.

I love how insignificant this human imprint becomes when compared to the caves… but also how the stairs give some perspective on the true vastness of the chamber.

This photo was taken during the excellent “Dark Cave” tour, nearby the more famous Hindu temple cave. Unfortunately I’ve just learned that the “Dark Cave” tours have recently closed, after eight years of operation. It’s unclear if (or when) they will reopen. So for now at least, these stairs are the very definition of “secret”.

6 Likes

Did you take all these photographs? They’re so beautiful :raised_hands:t3:

No need to apologise for quality content :smile:

1 Like

Yes, I did.
Thanks for the kind words! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Glorious walk up to the Malvern Hills in the UK.

10 Likes

The Strahov Library at the Strahov Monastery in Prague.

5 Likes

Whoa, this is an incredible staircase.

I love these tender little steps.

1 Like

Water Gardens in Fort Worth TX

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=o3j6HBa2&id=A95F7ED0E60E6D8F2CFB4F36986937E2141A62D9&thid=OIP.o3j6HBa2pjgcBmlPY_kwZgHaE6&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.planetware.com%2Fphotos-large%2FUSTX%2Ftexas-fort-worth-water-gardens.jpg&exph=485&expw=730&q=water+gardens+fort+worth+texas&simid=608005924468621436&selectedindex=2&mode=overlay&adlt=demote&shtp=GetUrl&shid=a2394ec9-0066-4a8c-b9b3-a9089b3ac448&shtk=Rm9ydCBXb3J0aCBXYXRlciBHYXJkZW5zIHwgU2hlcmF0b24gRm9ydCBXb3J0aCBEb3dudG93biBIb3RlbA%3D%3D&shdk=Rm91bmQgb24gQmluZyBmcm9tIHd3dy5zaGVyYXRvbmZvcnR3b3J0aC5jb20%3D&shhk=yNBpe05j0girNj2%2FkTvrqbwP9EpvgmWlPEut5zswGmc%3D&form=EX0023&shth=OSH.LoLftVybL4Q6M7eNina1Fw

1 Like

Thank you so much! I admire and abide by Thoreau’s teaching and philosophy. My traveling is hindered now, so I take particular joy in my immediate surroundings. You just made my day! :blush:

2 Likes

Stunning! Hope to get there someday.

1 Like

Great eye and great pictures

1 Like

these are beautiful!

1 Like

Not as grand as some of the beauties in this thread, but I thought it was cool :slight_smile:

This is a tight, narrow staircase in the Castillo San Felipe del Morro, a 16th century fort in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. It was used by soldiers to get back and forth from the upper fortification area to the lower cannons lining the wall along the entrance to the harbor.

4 Likes