Show Us Your Favorite "Welcome" Sign!

One of my favorite movie tropes is that shot where characters drive into a new town and the camera pans to the side to reveal a funny/sinister/illuminating welcome sign of a small town or city (usually with a hastily descending Population count, dun-dun-DUUUN). While I love this classic visual gag, what I really love is a classic “Welcome” sign. From Nevada’s iconic neon Reno and Las Vegas welcome signs to the hand-crafted greetings posted outside countless cities and towns all around the globe, welcome signs can be unforgettable guideposts that say a lot about the locations beyond. Now we want to welcome you to share the favorite welcome signs that you’ve come across.

(Image: pxhere/Public Domain)

In the comments below, tell us about your favorite welcome sign, whether it’s one that you found on your journeys, or the one standing at the border of your own city or town. Tell us where it is, and most importantly what you like about it or how you found it. We also want to see them, so be sure to include any pictures of the sign that you might have. Welcome to Atlas Obscura’s Community Forums (we should get a sign…)!

7 Likes

Question: Is there a way to find these articles? I haven’t seen any recently under the ‘Stories’ segment despite the many recent discussion topics like this one.

You can see all the collected articles here:

We don’t turn all of these types of threads into articles, but we include the disclaimer each time.

1 Like

Thanks a lot.

I’ve done road trips all around the country, and have seen hundreds of welcome signs - one of the more interesting ones is the one at the entrance to Green River, Utah. This shiny new electric sign complete with neon and Hollywood sign-style lettering heralds the entrance to a business district with many dilapidated buildings and few unique traveler options (more of a travel stop for gas and fast food). You have to admire their enthusiasm for their little oasis on I-70 in the middle of nowhere

10 Likes

A better example of the Colorful Colorado sign can be found at the History Colorado Center

At least it has a better story. All of Colorado’s welcome signs are made in the same drab white lettering on a brown sign. They take a beating and have to be replaced often. The one at the History Colorado Center is actually from the Colorado/Wyoming line on US287 between Laramie, WY and Fort Collins. It seems that the students from University of Wyoming like to paint the letters in different colors to taunt the Colorado State University students. Colorado removes the sign on a regular basis (as it does the others) for replacement. The director of History Colorado was looking for an example of the welcome sign when the Center was rebuilt and noticed this one. The CDOT people tried to steer him to another sign but this one had a better story. That’s why it is in the History Colorado Center.

8 Likes

I don’t have a picture of it myself, but according to the Pinedale, Wyoming welcome signs, Pinedale is all the civilization you need. I found a couple pictures by others:

efce1c8a-29c0-4402-8a86-6747ae97d85b

1. GC1A3TK Downtown / Main Street USA: Pinedale, WY (Traditional Cache) in Wyoming, United States created by AD0OR
  2. Sweetwater County and Pinedale Wyoming | Kings on the Road
9 Likes

“Welcome to Blackfeet Nation” … I took this photo heading north to Glacier National Park five years ago.

With Glacier National Park to the west and Canada to the north, the Blackfeet Indian Reservation is home to the Blackfeet Nation, one of the 10 largest tribes in the United States. It was established by treaty in 1855 and covers 1.5 million acres.

10 Likes

Always a favorite!

5 Likes

Not sure if this counts, but the town of Ponce, Puerto Rico sure knows how to welcome its visitors. Drive through this road and you’re probably going to see at least one or two parked cars with people taking photos on its imposing five letters:

Source: Buscan construir área de descanso para disfrutar las Letras de Ponce - NOTICEL

Source: http://ponce.com/las-letras-de-ponce/

After San Juan, Ponce is among the most popular tourist destinations and is even nicknamed Puerto Rico’s second capital. It even has its own slogan: Ponce es Ponce, y lo demás es ‘parking’ (Ponce is Ponce, and the rest is parking).

11 Likes

I went to college at Eastern New Mexico University, and I’ll never forget seeing this welcome sign as an impressionable 18 year old - I thought it was hilarious.

pvillewelcome

10 Likes

My favorite welcome sign in South Texas!
Then there’s this place!
Then there are those signs I cannot show here and will not! I love Atlas Obscura too much!

8 Likes

A favorite of my whole family which broke up the drive from my hometown north on the 101, was the city of Soledad, and whatever is happening there.

We would all shout the slogan when we drove by on road trips. They attempted to remove the sign in 2013, but returned it after a public outcry.

8 Likes

Texas welcome signs were placed at every road entering Texas for the 1936 Texas Centennial, and we are trying to save them from destruction now. Travelers love to pose with them!

You can see them at https://www.facebook.com/groups/373435073527823/

10 Likes

Welcome and so Glad to be here!!!

5 Likes

11 Likes

I always enjoyed seeing this welcome sign for Sweetwater TX.

7 Likes

It’s our welcome sign, on the island of Culebra, Puerto Rico. Hector the Protector, created by Thomas Dambo

14 Likes

I recall this sign on Interstate 5 in California. My college roommate and I used to chuckle about it because it seemed so at odds with our view of Bakersfield.
Bakersfield California Sign, c.1960s 

8 Likes