Show Us Your Vintage Tech!

technology
show-and-tell

One of the often overlooked benefits of the modern pace of technological innovation is that old, obsolete devices can become fascinating artifacts within our lifetimes. Whether it’s something kitschy like an old VHS machine, a bit of classy vintage machinery like a restored typewriter, or some half-forgotten blip in the history of technology like a gaming calculator, obsolete pieces of gear make for great objects of intrigue. Old and aging pieces of tech can be fascinating reminders of the peaks of human ingenuity that we’ve long since left behind. Now let’s all do a bit of modern archaeology, and tell us about the oldest or most incredible bits of technology that you still hang on to.

(Image: Daria Nepriakhina/Public Domain)

In the comments below, tell us about the calculators, rotary phones, old video game consoles, weird exercise machines, and every other bit of old tech that you still have and love. Tell us how you got it, what you like about it (the look? the sound?), and if you ever actually use it. And if you have any pictures of your incredible old tech, please post those as well! Your response might be included in an upcoming round-up article on Atlas Obscura. Let’s create a sort-of vintage Apple Keynote full of yesterday’s amazing tech!

6 Likes
Vintage Erector Sets

Came across this beauty in a junk drawer over the weekend. Pour another one out for RadioShack…gone too soon.

16 Likes

Still have my Game Boy Advance (does this count?). I remember buying game cartridges and then gently blowing on them to get the cartridges to work just right. Ah… good times.

8 Likes

Oh my god, that’s awesome!

This does count.

Do artificial teeth count as technology? I’m saving my granny’s pearly whites.

2 Likes

My 1904 Victrola

14 Likes

1994 Kitchenaid KUDJ23 still kicking.

5 Likes

My vinyl collection, which is 50% thrift store finds with covers that make me chuckle.

9 Likes

I genuinely miss Radio Shack. Sometimes I need a 1/8" to 1/4" Y adapter, dammit.

5 Likes

I found this in my parents’ basement - a “Minni tv” from who knows when. It gets power, but I haven’t managed to get reception yet.

14 Likes

Oh that looks so cool!

I have a 1967 Polaroid Land Camera. I can still find film for it but I can’t find flash bulbs anywhere.

16 Likes

My 1923 home still has coal chute door. Found prehistoric Cahokian stone tool digging in my garden that is used as paperweight.

8 Likes

Clint Eastwood voice You want vintage tech? Get ready…
So I work as a personal assistant to a computer scientist. He collects stuff. Please, enjoy some of the stuff we’ve got lying around.

A couple phonographs.

An operating system on a reel of tape.

A pocket phonograph. (!)

A calculator. I think this works on the same principles as a slide rule.

Manuals for Burroughs machines.

I have no idea what this was a part of. Vacuum tube board from something. He just got it recently.

And what the hell, some old typewriters.

20 Likes

After Hurricane Maria struck this little AM/FM Radio from Radio Shack was pretty much the only way to keep in touch with local news since we had no internet or cable for a while. Who says old technology is useless? :open_mouth:

Our wall phone gets an honorable mention since today most households rely solely on smartphones to communicate.

10 Likes

hahaha This is a treasure trove!

My boss also gets a lot of freebies at tech conventions to test out. We’ve got small graveyard of gadgets that barely made it out of the gate before becoming antiquated.

Every review of this is awful, since humans can’t move their hands in perfectly straight lines.

Japanese made Panasonic teensy-weensy laptops that ran Windows XP. These little guys were actually pretty handy.

Mm…yeah

Could not do battle with the iPad, unfortunately.

6 Likes

Crazy we had the same exact one just black lol

In case anyone vintage items needs parts https://www.tubesandmore.com

2 Likes