Snow Cream

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Snow Cream. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

I’m pretty sure snow ice cream was popular all over. More so in the north. While snow does happen in the south, the north and upper midwest are suited for it. Ok…the south too! I grew up in Maryland which is considered mid atlantic. It was a southern state during the Civil War. I grew up in Maryland with fond memories of snow ice cream. I remember the big blizzards we had where you got the freshiest snow. Just snow, condensed milk and Vanilla mixed together was all we used! But from the 70s on, snow ice cream wasn’t the best to eat with all the polution at the time. Still today, snow tastes dirty in Maryland. Maybe out in the mountains it might taste better? But every youngster should try it! Just watchout for that yellow snow! Frankie baby (a Baltimore born) knew this!