Somerset

Going to Somerset for a week later this month. Any recommendations?

A friend and I stayed in Somerset for a week back in the 1990s. I loved it! Somewhere on the A39 there was a restaurant/pub called Pocock’s, after the 18th-century highwayman whose ghost travels that road, and not only was the food good, but we were lucky enough to be there one night when a small group were discussing ghosts they’d met (really!), and they were very friendly when we asked for more information. I was sorry to learn that the prehistoric reconstruction of a village and the Sweet Track closed down around 2009 for lack of funds, but if I were there now I’d definitely visit the stone circles at Stanton Drew.

If you have never been to Somerset before, make sure to drink some apple juice while you’re there. If you’re from the U.S. and have only had what passes for apple juice here, especially if you never thought much of it, you really owe it to yourself to drink Somerset apple juice. You won’t even recognize it as apple juice. Also, although I was told by a Brit before I went that they’d never give it to me (being American), I understand that “scrumpy” (an alcoholic apple drink) is truly amazing. You might attempt to get some.

1 Like

Scrumpy!

Oh yum! Looks like I may have to return to Somerset… Thanks, Eric!