St. John’s Co-Cathedral Skeleton Tombstones

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of St. John’s Co-Cathedral Skeleton Tombstones in Valletta, Malta. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

How did you get the pictures Monsieur Mictlan? I had in mind to add this place but I didn’t find any good photo.

3 Likes

Hola Luis ,

I would love to say that I took them myself , but as I visited this site well over a decade ago I didn’t have any pictures to upload, I just had my vivid memories of being there and being struck by all the skeletons. So I used the creative commons photo archive and selected some images of the effigies.

2 Likes

Ok. I just noticed that there are a lot of them. Thank You!

1 Like

No problem , by the way , have you considered uploading the Carpetana Metro station prehistoric museum in Madrid ?

I would have done so myself but there are no images in creative commons and I didn’t take any of the station when I lived in Madrid.

That place is brilliant , and I reckon it would make for a brilliant addition to the Atlas.

2 Likes

I’m astonished, I’m from Madrid and I didn´t know anything about that place! Every passing day, this city surprises more and more. Of course, I will go there. Thank you for the tip!

3 Likes

Madrid is an incredible city , I totally agree Luis , I love Madrid but I guess my favourite city in the country is Oviedo , Asturias has to be my favourite region without a doubt.

There is so much to discover in the city , I only found out about the Carpetana museum by accident when I was walking through that station a couple of years ago and saw this prehistoric diorama.

3 Likes

Seconding the love of Oviedo

1 Like

Of course, Oviedo is a interesting city, and I certainly I had in my mind to add the pre-romanesque churches of Naranco but you overtook again :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hahaha ! sorry about that Luis :stuck_out_tongue: , couldn’t be helped , but you have a distinct advantage over me in that you are based permanently in Spain , there are still quite a few places you can get to before I do.

By the way , there is another monument in Madrid that you might be interested in, I wish I had taken pictures of it actually and found out what it actually signifies but I never got round to it. I was always rushing around Madrid whenever I got to that city so I didn’t really take it in leisurely.

So the monument… Its just across the road from the National library (if I remember correctly) within sight of the Colombus plinth , its this little plaza and there is this intriguing stone facade with a freize of two entwined snakes and some Iberian warriors and maidens. It looks very occult and is sort of overshadowed by other more ornate monuments. Have you seen this before ? or do you know what this monument means ?

1 Like

You had aroused my interest, Monsieur Miztlan. I really have no idea what do you mean, but anyway I promise to you that I will look for it. Is it in front of the National Libray or maybe in Columbus Square? ( but in this case it is a large square ). I walk there frecuently. I suppose it would be a mansion located in Castellana Avenue.
On the other hand I went yo Carpetana tube station and I took several pictures which I adding shortly. Thank you again for your tips.

1 Like

Luis , check this out , I got a street view capture of it which is in the link I’ll post below.

It looks slightly different from what I remember it looking like though , but I guess it was a couple of years ago so my memory of it is a bit hazy.

I still have no idea what it means either , but its a lovely design.

1 Like

Yes, really it is a lovely (and weird) design. I go through there very often but I never realized about it. Ok . When I got the chance I will go there in order to look for a little detail or sign about the artist who made this stone facade.

2 Likes