Stalag Luft III Prisoner Camp Museum

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Stalag Luft III Prisoner Camp Museum in Żagań, Poland. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

The article says “50 men who were executed by their fellow prisoners at the war camp”.

Huh??? Approximately 50 recaptured escapees were executed by the Gestapo and other German forces. Who were these prisoners which were executed by fellow prisoners???

I kept re-reading the passage as well. The whole story says 50 escapees were executed.

Then came the oddly worded passage: “There is a cemetery here with the original mausoleum built for the 50 men who were executed by their fellow prisoners at the war camp.”

I think it should have read something like “There is a cemetery here with the original mausoleum, built by fellow prisoners at the war camp, for the 50 men who were executed”.

Thank you all for catching that mistake. I’ve taken out the reference to the fellow prisoners of war to make things more clear. Apologies again for the confusing and incorrect text.

I’d love to visit this museum one day , I’ve been fascinated by the story of the great escape for ages.

2 Likes

My father was at that prison camp shortly after the great escape happened. He was a B17 pilot and was shot down over France. I’ve heard his stories of the camp growing up and now that I know there is a museum there it’s a place I must visit! Thank you for sharing this information about Stalag Luft III.

3 Likes