Street Name Tiles of New Orleans

ao-places
places
places-in-united-states
places-in-louisiana

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Street Name Tiles of New Orleans in New Orleans, Louisiana. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

2 Likes

I also love the historical street name tiles affixed on the buildings, such as this one.

They certainly give off the Old European vibe.

2 Likes

Couldn’t resist adding a photo of the the corner of Desire and Burgundy. You cant talk about street names in New Orleans without Desire.

Thanks for the great article. As an avid New Orleans urban explorer I always admired the tile street names but didn’t know little details about how they replaced them over the years etc.

2 Likes

Yes, I love those too! It’s such a picturesque city.

1 Like

Every time I go, I’m more enchanted by the city.

1 Like

So many layers and such good people. I try to go 2 to 3 times a year…been less lately but its really “know what it means to miss New Orleans”

1 Like

These tiles were my favorite thing about New Orleans! I have so many pics of these with my or my siblings’ feet. I’ll have to dig the pics up and see if I have any that are not on the AO page.

Always wondered about these things and now I know. Thank you again, Atlas Obscura.

When I lived in New Orleans, I had a sketchy garage apartment on Mystery Street, not far from the fairground. I loved seeing my street name in the tiles.