Suggestions for haunted locations?

I’m planning a group tour of reportedly haunted locations in Northeast England and Southeast Scotland for next year and looking for places to add to it. These would be sites that offer tours or allow visitors, and have some cool historical or architectural interest. Not looking for “haunted tours” necessarily - just interesting locations with some history. I’d appreciate any leads or ideas you can provide. Thanks!

5 Likes

I personally do not have any experience with any of these places listed, just thought I would get the ball rolling. Culzean Castle is on my bucket list, it is associated with the film “Wicker Man” (1973), Lord Summerisle’s residence. Ghosts of the Trust | National Trust for Scotland Not sure if this is too far west, but Sawney Bean’s Cave is located in Ayrshire. Sawney Bean & his incestuous cannibalistic family supposedly lived here & disposed of their victims here. Was the inspiration for Wes Craven’s “The Hills Have Eyes”. Again, not sure if the location is out of the way, this way to the north, Slains Castle, inspiration for the Count’s Castle in Bram Stoker’s “Dracula” New Slains Castle, The Real Dracula Castle? - Spooky Isles Speaking of “Dracula” the town of Whitby is must for any goth fiend.

3 Likes

Hi, Seanetta,

Thanks so much for the tips and the links. There’s a lot of good stuff on those sites. And I love the idea of Whitby. :slight_smile:

Best to you.

1 Like

I will be in Whitby in about 2 weeks! Can’t wait!

1 Like

Not to over hype/sell it, but think you’ll fall in <3 ! The Magpie Cafe is a MUST, they do both sit down (reservations a must on weekends) & take away (but be WARY of the sea gulls, NO JOKE!). Rusty Shears a great place for tea/coffee, soup, & sandwiches & of course GIN! They close @ 5 PM Rusty Shears Tea Room. I ASS + U + ME you’ll be going to the Abbey, but no trip to Whitby is complete without a stop at the Whitby Museum, be sure to say “Hi Ya” to ‘Clarence’ for me!

1. List item
2 Likes

Wow! How interesting, I will definitely keep these in mind when I visit Scotland. I recently read through all of Kate Atkinson’s books and am also planning a trip hopefully sometime next year. Thanks, Seanetta! :smiley:

Yum! Always looking for good places to eat and ESPECIALLY places with a little something extra. :+1:t2:

Hi! I’d recommend the Yorkshire dales. I’m from Richmond - the castle is great, and drummer boy legend is pretty spooky. There’s a lovely walk where you follow his supposed path that takes you from the castle to Easby abbey. Don’t miss the angel’s share bakery in the station! The Swaledale corpse way is a lovely walk, but quite long - you could just go to Grinton and Reeth though. The Bowes Museum at Barnard Castle is also spectacular.One of the forts along Hadrian’s wall would also be a nice stop on your way up to Scotland.

I think that there are couple of these that were historically reputedly “haunted” in the South.

The one that comes to mind is the location of the Enfield poltergeist “haunting” ( The way its portrayed in the “conjuring 2” is a load of crap though and the Warrens were total charlatans so for a more accurate source there is the channel 4 documentary “Interview with a Poltergeist”) at 284 Green street in Enfield , London.

I was kind of curious about this case a couple of years ago and although I dont believe there was anything paranormal that occured there I do think there were some interesting parapsychological phenomenon going on.

I’ve walked past this house intentionally out of curiosity and I think those who are interested should do this too even if just to see this historical location , just walk by and give it a discreet look for a minute or whatever and then continue walking.

However, as it is currently occupied by a family and for obvious reasons I think it would be ridiculously disrespectful and idiotic to trespass there as some people have done and posted videos on youtube.

1 Like

Chillingham Castle in Northumberland is a must if you’re looking for reputedly haunted places. You can easily spend a few hours here.

They do a night time tour of the grounds, which is quite eerie :slight_smile:

Why don’t you go for Hoghton Tower , a historic house and stately home in the village of Hoghton.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! Chillingham Castle was definitely on my list.