Syracuse Salt Potatoes

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Syracuse Salt Potatoes. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Looks rather like Cararian “papas arrugadas” aka wrinkly potatoes. Tiny potatoes boiled in heavily salted water (originally sea water was used) and served with mojo rojo and mojo verde sauces. A Canarian staple and a great snack with a beer.

2 Likes

I went to Syracuse University from California, and I remember one of the local students trying to convince me taste some. I did. And I’ve been addicted ever since. I returned to California, and I still make it a few times a year. Like at Thanksgiving, because I hate mashed potatoes.

I’ve gotten a few Californians on board, but it’s mostly fellow SU alumni who want me to make it for them. It’s not like this is difficult.

1 Like

Those are ‘papas arrugás/arrugadas’, no doubt… I wonder if there was a significative amount of canarian immigration in that zone, like there was in other parts of the country. Or maybe it’s just sheer coincidence.

1 Like