Tell Us About the World's Greatest Cheese Shops!

I eat too much cheese. I’m at “I know what day of the week my local deli gets its cheese delivery” levels of cheese consumption. But when I really want to treat myself I’ll make a trip to an actual cheese shop and select a hunk of some specialty cheese. I’m not the most adventurous cheese fan, but I still like browsing around cheese shops, discovering the smell of new varieties and trying to imagine who some of the more pungent cheeses could possibly be for. Like curiosity shops, cheese shops are full of unforgettable and unexpected treasures just waiting to be discovered (and both can smell kind of musty)! Now we want to hear about your favorite cheese shops, and unique flavors you’ve discovered there!

(Image: Alexander Maasch/Public Domain)

In the comments below, tell us about your favorite cheese shops, whether it’s your neighborhood go-to, or some delightful little fromagerie that you’ve discovered on your travels. Let us know where it is, what made it so unforgettable, and of course, what kind of cheese you got to experience there. If you have any pictures, be sure to include those as well. Your response may be included in an upcoming round-up article on Atlas Obscura. Don’t turn your nose up at telling us about your favorite cheese shop.

1 Like

I don’t know if it qualifies as a “shop”, technically, but I have very fond cheesy memories of a Saturday street market in Bruges. There were several cheese carts but we went to the one where all the brewery people were buying their cheese to serve with the excellent Belgian beer. We get hunks of a lovely stinky bleu cheese called St. Agur and a Mimolette Oude, plus some crusty brown rolls from a neighboring cart and some chocolates, and had ourselves a fine lunch. Excuse the slight fuzziness of this photo but hopefully it will capture the offerings at the cart.

3 Likes

This, THIS is my deal. I’m all about that cheese.

First time I was in Edinburgh, one of my absolute favorite places was I. J. Mellis on Victoria Street. Now that I live near this city, I have been to their Morningside location as well, but Victoria St. will always have my heart.
I.J. Mellis, Edinburgh, UK by Robby Virus, en Flickr

You can smell the shop well before you see it and that funk is what dreams are made of.
blessed are the cheesemakers 02 by byronv2, en Flickr

I.J. Mellis, Cheesemonger, Edinburgh by Sherrie, en Flickr

3 Likes

The Cheese Board Collective in Berkeley! They have an amazing cheese selection (and awesome breads too! I want one of their pletzels right now). They’re a worker-owned cooperative and have helped create many of the other cooperatives in the Bay Area, and are also very important in the history of the Gourmet Ghetto (the birthplace of California Cuisine and location of so many good restaurants – read more here).

Two doors down they have Cheese Board Pizza, which is my favorite pizza place on this planet.
7 Likes

Atlas Obscura is a good place to be for cheese people. Welcome home.

2 Likes

Nejaime’s in Lenox, Massachusetts. They’re primarily a wine shop, but they have an amazing array of local and international cheeses that they’ll let you sample. They’ll even advise you on what cheeses go well together with each other or with particular wines. They’ve helped me make some awesome discoveries over the years, like the joys of Époisses.

1 Like

Eat More Cheese, a shop in Belfast, Maine, specializing in – yes – cheese, as well as wine, charcuterie, and other specialty foods, is a place not only to find fine cheese but also, for me at least, to learn about cheeses. The selection is wide, especially for a small mom-and-pop store, and the owners will make recommendations, explain their selections, and generally help customers navigate, and appreciate, the world of cheese. I love the place.

2 Likes

Here in little Ocean Grove New Jersey, we have a great cheese store run by Susan, who is a cheeky, fun, knowledgeable cheese vendor. If you’re ever in the area of the Jersey shore, check it out.

1 Like

There is a place in Northwest DC called Calvert Woodley which is known for its beer, wine, and spirits collection; however, it also has the most fantastic cheese selection.

It’s the only place I can think of in DC, Maryland, and Virginia worth calling a cheese shop.

2 Likes

Caputo’s Market and Deli in Salt Lake City. Great selection of cheeses and cured meats. They have their own cheese cave where they age cheeses from other producers to create their own versions. Try their “Double Skull Taleggio” if you like your cheese extra ripe. Their house made burrata is also amazing.

Definitely Paxton and Whitfield on Jermyn Street in London. It’s one of the oldest cheesemongers in England and a real institution.

1 Like

A great, old-time place. I have their cookbook, too.

1 Like

DiBruno’s on. Chestnut St in Philadelphia. I was fortunate enough to live next-door to their 18th St location, and was sad when they expanded and upscaled to Chestnut, but gotta admit: the cheese selection and perfectly timed ripeness was worth the change! They started out in South Philly, where they still have their original store I think. An old business that has kept pace with the times.

1 Like

Fromagerie Ceneri
By far one of the best… in the south fo France. While shopping at the Cannes Forville Market, take a walk down the pedestrian zone to 22 rue Metnadier and you will find the Fromagerie Ceneri. Since the 1920’s and now in the 3rd generation. about 200 meters away are the cheese ripening caves (not open to the public). The Ceneri’s ripen the cheeses to their specifications. Herve Ceneri or his sister will help you with your purchases and ask you when are you going to eat the cheese as to with a simple press on the side of the cheese they know when it is the best to be consumed. It is a packed and bustling shop… If you are in town in Mid-May for the annual Cannes Film Festival you will see stars if not their yacht chefs picking out cheeses and platters to impress their bosses. In the former days, many stars would fly into Cannes and a take home sealed packages of cheese to the states.

1 Like

I love the Cheese Board Collective! And this quote:

“When the sixties finally ended in Berkeley, sometime around 1994, the only thing left standing from that bygone era was the Cheese Board.” – Alice Kahn

3 Likes

Venissimo in Del Mar, California. Always an amazing selection of cheese and they have a great staff that love cheese and are really helpful.

Chans wine bar in 30A! Not necessarily the best cheese shop but one with amazing service and atmosphere. in atlanta there is a place called alons backery up in sandy springs and for a atlanta person it has a fantastic selection

1 Like

The West Allis Cheese & Sausage Shoppe in West Allis, Wisconsin. They’ve been around since the 1970s, and have a massive selection of local and imported cheese. They also have a cafe on site where you can get amazing charcuterie and cheese boards.

1 Like