Tell Us About Your Favorite Comfort Food From Around the World

ao-foods
foods

Chili!

1 Like

Spetzel! With a creamy sheep cheese sauce and pancetta. Common in Slovakia and Hungary. I could eat this everyday.

3 Likes

Spetzel is definitely naptime food. Delicious and then I need to lay down.

1 Like

Agreed! Very heavy and indulgent.

1 Like

Biscuits and gravy, pb&j, and tacos. Though I really have to make my vegetarian biscuits and gravy from scratch. I live in Denmark now where they like the British think biscuits are cookies and don’t know breakfast sausage.

1 Like

As far as something I’ve picked up from Denmark it’s eating rolls with jam and cheese on them.

0 Likes

I became a cookie person since I went to “City Cakes NYC”. I’m always dreaming about to return there.

1 Like

I grew up eating this, and we call it Martabak Manis. It’s basically just a thick pancake, slathered with half a tub of margarine, filled with shredded cheese, chocolate sprinkles, crushed peanuts, and glazed with condensed milk.

It’s my version of heaven.

I tried to make it myself once.

3 Likes

Sounds like a cottage pie sort of thing. That’s one of my favorites, personally. That and Shepherd’s pie.

1 Like

Ugali and Sukuma Wiki from Kenya. Basically grits and collard greens, but so much better. I could eat that stuff every day.

3 Likes

You can never go wrong with anything grits like…or greens. I’m from the south where every baby boy is given a pack of grits when he’s born basically lol. Id love to try this!

2 Likes

Rösti in Switzerland and Colombian arepas.

2 Likes

Noodles! Or soups. Or noodle soups. Ramen, Italian wedding, macaroni, pancit, spaghetti, I could go on and on…

2 Likes

In Virginia we have Brunswick stew, it’s a thick vegetable soup with shredded baked chicken. Most people freeze it and whip it out soon as it gets the least bit cold out.

2 Likes

Any food is comfort food if I’m in the mood for it! But, in general, I tend towards soups and stews. Nabe, goulash, chicken noodle soup… But other foods will do it for me, too: sushi, kimchi, tacos, chips and salsa, hamburgers, BBQ, a good roast…

4 Likes

I’m the same way! Sometimes I have the worst cravings…

2 Likes

I was an exchange student to Austria in the 1980s. My host mom made liver gulasch with mashed potatoes. I have never eaten anything made of liver outside of Austria…but that stuff was amazing. I have never seen it anywhere else. (Also Leberknoedelsuppe and Leberkaese sandwiches from the butcher shop)

2 Likes