Tell Us About Your Favorite Comfort Food From Around the World

Chili!

1 Like

Spetzel! With a creamy sheep cheese sauce and pancetta. Common in Slovakia and Hungary. I could eat this everyday.

3 Likes

Spetzel is definitely naptime food. Delicious and then I need to lay down.

1 Like

Agreed! Very heavy and indulgent.

1 Like

Biscuits and gravy, pb&j, and tacos. Though I really have to make my vegetarian biscuits and gravy from scratch. I live in Denmark now where they like the British think biscuits are cookies and don’t know breakfast sausage.

1 Like

As far as something I’ve picked up from Denmark it’s eating rolls with jam and cheese on them.

I became a cookie person since I went to “City Cakes NYC”. I’m always dreaming about to return there.

1 Like

I grew up eating this, and we call it Martabak Manis. It’s basically just a thick pancake, slathered with half a tub of margarine, filled with shredded cheese, chocolate sprinkles, crushed peanuts, and glazed with condensed milk.

It’s my version of heaven.

I tried to make it myself once.

3 Likes

Sounds like a cottage pie sort of thing. That’s one of my favorites, personally. That and Shepherd’s pie.

1 Like

Ugali and Sukuma Wiki from Kenya. Basically grits and collard greens, but so much better. I could eat that stuff every day.

3 Likes

You can never go wrong with anything grits like…or greens. I’m from the south where every baby boy is given a pack of grits when he’s born basically lol. Id love to try this!

2 Likes

Rösti in Switzerland and Colombian arepas.

2 Likes

Noodles! Or soups. Or noodle soups. Ramen, Italian wedding, macaroni, pancit, spaghetti, I could go on and on…

2 Likes

In Virginia we have Brunswick stew, it’s a thick vegetable soup with shredded baked chicken. Most people freeze it and whip it out soon as it gets the least bit cold out.

2 Likes

Any food is comfort food if I’m in the mood for it! But, in general, I tend towards soups and stews. Nabe, goulash, chicken noodle soup… But other foods will do it for me, too: sushi, kimchi, tacos, chips and salsa, hamburgers, BBQ, a good roast…

4 Likes

I’m the same way! Sometimes I have the worst cravings…

2 Likes

I was an exchange student to Austria in the 1980s. My host mom made liver gulasch with mashed potatoes. I have never eaten anything made of liver outside of Austria…but that stuff was amazing. I have never seen it anywhere else. (Also Leberknoedelsuppe and Leberkaese sandwiches from the butcher shop)

2 Likes

When I was a very little girl, my Grandma took care of me while my parents were at college during the day. Grandma had a strong English, plain cooking attitude towards lunch. To this day my favorite comfort food is mashed potatoes with butter, milk and carrots whipped smooth. That same Grandmother also cooked chocolate pudding using her own recipe and to this day, I absolutely love chocolate pudding with “skin” on it.
Later on, when my family moved to the Midwest, Saturday nights were “Rin-cum-diddy” meal nights. To make the dish, my mother would open a can of stewed tomatoes and put that into a saucepan. She cubed Velveeta cheese and added those to the tomatoes. Then, the trick was to heat the whole thing until the cheese got melty This was served over buttered toast. Yummmm.

1 Like