Tell Us About Your Favorite Local Cryptid!

show-and-tell
cryptids

It’s not exactly a local cryptid with where I’m currently living but I have always liked the concept of the Barghest and canid cryptids in general.

Also , not really a cryptid , but most definitely the werewolf.

We always love a Hodag.

A few years ago, there were reports of a mangy coyote in our area. Yardley is just up-river and it got the moniker of the Yardley Yeti.

I was out for a drive in nearby Morrisville a few days after the initial reports, and I may have seen it. What I saw, however, I can not with any certainty describe as of this earth.

It was crouched beneath a car and all skin and bones. I was glad I was safely in my car and shined a flashlight on it. It somehow had spines running the length of its back and flames flickered in its pupils. I couldn’t take my eyes off it. It flicked its tongue at me which forked twice as it tortured me. It may have forked more times, possibly into infinity, but I had merely human eyes with which to watch it.

It then spoke to me, perhaps in Urdu, but I could not understand its speech any more than I could its endlessly forking tongue. I’m not entirely sure how it got flames inside its eyes either, but I saw it.

It was the Morrisville Monster, and I can definitely understand how these tall tales can grow, and why Albrecht Durer drew that Rhinoceros that looked like a tank.

In American folklore, Champ or Champy is the name of a lake monster said to live in Lake Champlain, a 125-mile-long body of fresh water shared by New York and Vermont, with a portion extending into Quebec, Canada.
https://www.lakechamplainregion.com/heritage/champ

My family built a cabin in a very remote area of Upstate NY called Bear Swamp. Being at 16 and in high school, it ended up being very popular hang-out for parties. Upon arriving one Friday night we found a badminton wrapped around a tree in the driveway- thus starting the legend of the “Badminton Killer”. So random and in-explainable! We had lots of laughs. Even now, 40 years later, I will ever so often run into someone from my early years who speaks of the BK :slight_smile:

The Loveland Frogman, from Loveland, Ohio, is one of my local favorites. The first sighting is described below:

"The story of these unique creatures begins in May of 1955, on a lonely stretch of road that runs along the Miami River in Clermont County, just on the outskirts of a small town known as Loveland, Ohio.

At approximately 3:30 a.m., an un-named business man claimed to have witnessed three, bipedal, quasi-reptilian entities congregating by the side of the road. The man pulled his car to the curb and observed these creatures for what he estimated to be about three minutes. During this time he noticed that these strange beings stood between 3 and 4-feet tall, were covered with leathery skin, and had webbed hands and feet. Their most distinguishing characteristic, however, was their distinctly “frog-like” heads, which the man claimed bore deep wrinkles where their hair should have been.

Just as the man was about to steal away, one of the creatures suddenly held what the witness could only describe as a “wand” above its head. The anonymous source further claimed that sparks spewed out of the end of this device. He left posthaste."

I love how they have been reported wield sticks as tools, and somehow make them emit sparks, meaning they must have some kind of magic! Such a quirky and random cryptid.

Below is a supposed sighting in 2016:

Sinkhole Sam - the Loch Ness Monster of Lake Inman, Kansas. first described by Professor Erasmus B. Quatlebottom.
https://www.hayspost.com/2017/09/25/exploring-kansas-outdoors-the-legend-of-sink-hole-sam/

Ogopogo is very well known and famous in the Okanagan Lake of British Columbia, Canada. There have been many sighting of this lake monster as far back as 1872. Read more at https://www.ogopogoquest.com/ogopogo-legend.php

I have to go with the Michigan Dogman. In the woods of Northwest Lower Michigan there is said to be a bipedal dog creature that has a howl that (conveniently) sounds of a human shriek. It’s so entrenched in local folklore that there is actually a song about it that is played on the radio every year. Also a local filmmaker made a movie about it starring Larry Joe Campbell! It even appeared in episodes of the shows ‘Monster Quest’ and ’ Monsters and Mysteries in America’

“…the best advice you may ever get, is ‘don’t go out at night’”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Dogman
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2069756/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd5W0iMLL6k

The Bullebak lives under a bridge across one of the many canals in Amsterdam. Children are told that the Bullebak might come out of it’s hiding and grab them, so they better behave. The Amsterdam Council not to be outdone actually named two bridges after the infamous Bullebak. So a visitor might try out the bridge in the Marnixstraat crossing the picturesque Brouwersgracht canal. Or can choose to admire the view from the bridge to the equally enjoyable Bloemgracht canal just a bit farther up the same street. Take care though, since the Bullebak seems to have an equally voracious appetite for unwary travellers.

In the mountains of central Arizona we have the Mogollon Monster, a southwestern variant of Bigfoot. First sighting seems to have been by Boy Scouts in the Payson, Arizona area in the early 1940s. Other tales involve attacks on prospectors in remote cabins, harassment of campers in the Sierra Ancha, etc. When I was a Scout in the early 1960s, tales of these encounters were told around the campfire to mutually scare the bejeezus out of one another. Good luck getting to sleep in your tent!

The local cryptid is the Beast of Bray Road. There are several encounter stories about it, ranging from a dog-like humanoid running across a road to three of the creatures hunched over a watering hole, observed in secret from a distance. The beast seems to be a human-canine hybrid, not a werewolf. It was first reported in 1935 but I don’t know that there has been any activity lately.

Our local Cryptid is similiar in features to the Loch Ness in Scotland with reported sightings but truly no official verification. It’s a bashful creature that shows up rarely without any threat to human kind.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrE1xp0vF1cNXIAzw5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyY3VucDBuBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjY4MjFfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=champy%2C+legend+of+Lake+Champlain&fr=mcafee

You can see images of it at the link above and there are documentaries that have researched it, all without verifiable success. Just google Champy, Lake Champlain since it’s been seen along the shores of both New York and Vermont.

About a 30 minute drive outside my childhood town ofSaint John NB, on highway 1, toward St Stephen, you’ll see a turn off for Lake Utopia (obscure fact! Connected out to the Bay of Fundy via the Magaguadavic River through the 2nd deepest natural canal in the world!) .

Now, apparently there’s a monster in that lake.
“Old Ned”, they call him, and sightings go back into local Indigenous folklore.

My grandfather claimed to have seen it as a boy - serpent like and scaly and swimming very quickly across the lake. You can well imagine that hearing that story, the imagination of 6 year old me latched in to what that must have been like for my grandfathers 10 year old self back in the 1920s!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Utopia_(New_Brunswick)

Murphysboro, Illinois, (near Southern Illinois University-Carbondale) has repeated sightings (and smellings) of the Big Muddy Monster. Many believe it may be related to (if not the same as) the Creve Couer Monster, sighted near the St. Louis suburb.

This is an animal often likened to Sasquatch in size and appearance, but with a distinct “skunky” smell. Those who believe the two cryptoids are the same surmise that the animal swam down the Big Muddy River in Murphysboro to the Mississippi River and, thence, north to the Missouri River by which it swam to a bend in the river near Creve Couer.

I grew up at the base of the Mogollon Rim North of Payson and while I do recall the local convenience store having bigfoot merch, I never questioned it. I never actually heard of the Mogollon Monster until I moved to Seattle for college and found an online list of cryptids by state.

My dad grew up in Flagstaff and evidently never heard the stories because he told me that Dolan Ellis invented the monster, despite the reports of the monster that predate Ellis’ songs.

The story unfolds in Versailles Indiana and involves a man named Silas Shimmerhorn, a confederate soldier and one of Morgan’s Raiders who passed through this area in 1863. For whatever reason Shimmerhorn deserted , slipping away from the group, perhaps he decided he objected to the war (who knows…), but he hid out in the woods of Versailles. According to legend Shimmerhorn took shelter in a cave commonly known in my childhood era as the bat cave at Versailles located in the area where the State Park is today. He began raiding local farms for food at night and then hiding out during the daylight hours. Shimmerhorn may have had a problem though as a pack of wolves took up residence in his cave. Shimmerhorn somehow worked out a partnership with the wolves and ran with the pack if you will, hunting with them for his survival. Sounds like Silas had gone a little off the beam about that time and local residents at times would spot the scraggly, bearded man running naked in the night with the wolf pack. As more and more of the farmer’s livestock was being killed by the pack (with Silas in the fray) the menfolk decided to hunt down the wolf pack and the wild and naked Silas, now dubbed “The Wolf Man of Versailles.” Gradually the wolf pack was killed off, but Silas evaded capture. Eventually the wolf possee found the cave but Silas was nowhere to be seen, only his makeshift bed and his civil war era rifle was found. You say not so spooky? Problem is that occasionally Silas and or the pack are sighted running in the woods at Versailles. I know this because before I ever heard of the legend I was told to be careful in the woods as various riders would come off of the trail talking about some scraggly dirty man streaking buck naked out there in the woods!

Looks like this post was meant for our discussion of local cryptids, so I’m going to move it over there at this time. Thanks again for posting!

Cadborosaurus (called Caddy by locals) is a sea serpent with a horse-like head, large front-facing eyes, and flippers on a serpentine body. Sightings (including a couple of unclear videos), stories, carcasses and even captures of “baby cadborosaurus” have been reported off the coast of British Columbia for hundreds of years, starting with the First Nations people. Caddy has been carved into petroglyphs along the Pacific coastline as far north as Alaska and as far south as San Francisco Bay. Sightings by European settlers date back 200 years.

Regarding caracasses, nine reported since 1930 are hypothesized to have been basking or whale sharks, beaked whales, giant oarfish, sea lions or elephant seals.

Fisherman William Hagelund claimed he caught a live, 40-centimeter long infant Cadborosaurus off De Courcy Island in 1967. The creature had scales, two flippers and a long, flat tail. He placed it in a bucket of water to have it examined by scientists later, but for some reason returned it to the sea instead. In 1991, on the San Juan Islands, Phyllis Harsh claims to have caught a 2-ft baby Caddy and returned it to the water. It has since been argued that these “infant” finds were actually pipefish.

Of course, it’s always easy to explain things away in retrospect! Wikipedia mentions that Dr. Paul LeBlond, director of Earth and Ocean Sciences at UBC and Dr. Edward Blousfield, retired chief zoologist of the Canadian Museum of Nature, state that every possible elongated animal has been put forward as an explanation for Caddy. LeBlond and Blousfield state no known creature matches the characteristics found in over 200 sightings collected over a century, noting that Caddy is described as having flippers both anteriorly and posteriorly. Darren Naish (a British paleontologist), on the other hand, contends that LeBlond and Blousfield are engaging in bad science and have incorrectly assumed that different, conflicting eyewitness reports are all descriptions of one species. For me, I like looking out at the foam-flecked ocean surface which obscures immense hidden depths, and meditating on the limits of our current knowledge…